Archiv: United States Constitution


07:47 [ NewArab.com ]

CAIR Director Nihad Awad: Texas terror designation ‘unconstitutional’

In an interview with our Arabic edition Al-Araby Al-Jadeed, Awad said: „We defeated him three times in court when he ignored the rights of Texas citizens in the right to boycott against Israel.

We believe this is retaliation against the institution, and US courts do not allow any official in power to take revenge on an institution or place that defeated them in the judiciary.“

Founded in 1994, CAIR is the largest civil-rights and Muslim advocacy organisation in the United States. Headquartered in Washington, DC, it operates more than 35 regional offices nationwide.

28.11.2025 - 01:32 [ CNN ]

US official says shooting suspect was vetted by intel agencies and “clean on all checks”

At the time, the CIA would have done its own vetting of him through a variety of databases, including the National Counterterrorism Center database, to see if he had any known ties to terrorist groups. The CIA did its own vetting before he started working with them and kept the identities of those they worked with secret, the official said.

NCTC would have vetted him again during Operation Allies Welcome in 2021 for any ties to terrorism before he was allowed into the US. He was clean then as well and did not show any ties to terror organizations, per the senior US official.

28.11.2025 - 01:29 [ Associated Press ]

Afghan national charged in Guard ambush shooting drove across US to carry out attack, officials say

Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, declined to provide a motive for Wednesday afternoon’s brazen act of violence which occurred just blocks from the White House. The presence of troops in the nation’s capital and other cities around the country has become a political flashpoint.

28.11.2025 - 01:20 [ NPR.org ]

National Guard shooting suspect served in CIA counterterrorism unit, group says

Rahmanullah Lakanwal, the Afghan man who allegedly shot two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, previously served in one of Afghanistan‘s elite counterterrorism units, according to AfghanEvac, a nonprofit run by U.S. veterans and others who served in Afghanistan.

The unit was operated by the CIA with direct U.S. intelligence and military support, according to AfghanEvac.

28.11.2025 - 01:15 [ Tagesschau.de ]

Attentat auf Nationalgarde: Wie Trump den Angriff instrumentalisiert

Washingtons Bürgermeisterin und auch die örtliche Polizei haben sich immer wieder gegen den Einsatz der Nationalgarde in ihrer Stadt ausgesprochen. Der Bundesdistrikt Washington D.C. hatte sogar eine Klage gegen die Trump-Regierung eingereicht – und recht bekommen. Eine Bundesrichterin entschied vor etwa einer Woche, dass der immer wieder verlängerte Einsatz der Nationalgarde in der Stadt illegal sei.

Von dieser Entscheidung zeigt sich der US-Präsident aber unbeeindruckt. Nach den Schüssen auf die beiden Nationalgardisten fühlt er sich im Recht. Seinen Pentagon-Chef hat er jetzt sogar angewiesen, noch weitere 500 Nationalgardisten in die Hauptstadt zu schicken.

26.11.2025 - 13:44 [ NPR.org ]

Sen. Mark Kelly: Trump and Hegseth don‘t ‚understand the Constitution‘

On Monday, the Pentagon announced an investigation into Kelly, a retired U.S. Navy fighter pilot, for possible violations of military law for appearing in the video. The video was published as legal questions swirl around the Trump administration‘s deployment of National Guard troops to U.S. cities.

While the White House has since walked back the president‘s remarks calling the Senators‘ video „seditious behavior, punishable by DEATH,“ Kelly told All Things Considered he thinks President Trump is „declaring that loyalty to the Constitution is punishable by death.“

26.11.2025 - 13:19 [ U.S. Representative Chrissy Houlahan ]

My Statement on FBI Request for Interviews

President Trump is using the FBI as a tool to intimidate and harass Members of Congress.

Yesterday, the FBI contacted the House and Senate Sergeants at Arms requesting interviews. No amount of intimidation or harassment will ever stop us from doing our jobs and honoring our Constitution.

We swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath lasts a lifetime, and we intend to keep it. We will not be bullied. We will never give up the ship.

26.11.2025 - 13:03 [ Congressman Chris Deluzio / X ]

President Trump is using the FBI as a tool to intimidate and harass members of Congress.

Yesterday, the FBI contacted the House and Senate Sergeants at Arms requesting interviews.

No amount of intimidation or harassment will ever stop us from doing our jobs and honoring our Constitution.

We swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath lasts a lifetime, and we intend to keep it. We will not be bullied. We will never give up the ship.

26.11.2025 - 12:54 [ Fox News ]

FBI scheduling interviews with 6 lawmakers who encouraged military members to refuse ‚illegal orders‘

On Monday, the Department of War announced that it has opened a formal review into allegations of misconduct against Kelly over the video.

The Pentagon said it may even call Kelly, a retired Navy captain, back to active duty to face court-martial proceedings or other administrative actions under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Four of the other Democrats are former military, but not retired and therefore are not subject to the UCMJ, according to Secretary of War Pete Hegseth. Slotkin is a former CIA officer.

24.11.2025 - 20:04 [ Sen. Elissa Slotkin / X ]

We want to speak directly to members of the Military and the Intelligence Community. The American people need you to stand up for our laws and our Constitution. Don’t give up the ship.

(November 18, 2025)

24.11.2025 - 20:02 [ CNN ]

Pentagon threatens to recall Sen. Mark Kelly to military service for court martial over illegal orders video

The investigation comes as President Donald Trump has been pushing relentlessly for consequences for Kelly and five other Democratic lawmakers over a video they made reminding servicemembers of their duty to disobey illegal orders, calling their actions “seditious” and “treason.”

Because Kelly was a senior officer who retired from the Navy, he is required to remain available for recall to the military by law. The other five lawmakers, Sen. Elissa Slotkin, Rep. Jason Crow, Rep. Maggie Goodlander, Rep. Chris Deluzio and Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, are not eligible for recall to a military service.

21.11.2025 - 10:18 [ U.S. Representative Chrissy Houlahan ]

Joint Statement from Lawmakers Slotkin, Kelly, Crow, Deluzio, Goodlander, and Houlahan

(November 20, 2025)

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Elissa Slotkin (D-MI), Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ) and Representatives Jason Crow (D-CO-06), Chris Deluzio (D-PA-17), Maggie Goodlander (D-NH-02), and Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA-06) released the following joint statement:

“We are veterans and national security professionals who love this country and swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath lasts a lifetime, and we intend to keep it. No threat, intimidation, or call for violence will deter us from that sacred obligation.“

“What’s most telling is that the President considers it punishable by death for us to restate the law. Our servicemembers should know that we have their backs as they fulfill their oath to the Constitution and obligation to follow only lawful orders. It is not only the right thing to do, but also our duty.“

“But this isn’t about any one of us. This isn’t about politics. This is about who we are as Americans. Every American must unite and condemn the President’s calls for our murder and political violence. This is a time for moral clarity.“

“In these moments, fear is contagious, but so is courage. We will continue to lead and will not be intimidated.“

“Don’t Give Up the Ship!”

21.11.2025 - 10:12 [ Tagesschau.de ]

Entscheidung von US-Richterin: Einsatz der Nationalgarde in Washington ist illegal

Die Regierung von US-Präsident Donald Trump habe die Einheit der Hauptstadt nicht ohne ausdrückliche Anforderung der lokalen Behörden aktivieren dürfen. Zudem hätte sie Nationalgardisten aus anderen Bundesstaaten zu polizeilichen Zwecken nicht nach Washington beordern dürfen, hieß es in der Verfügung weiter.

Cobb ordnete an, den Einsatz der Nationalgarde zu beenden, setzte ihre Entscheidung jedoch für drei Wochen aus, damit die Trump-Regierung in Berufung gehen kann. Die Anordnung bleibt damit bis zum 11. Dezember außer Kraft.

21.11.2025 - 09:56 [ Washington Post ]

Trump administration ordered to halt ‘unlawful’ Guard deployment in D.C.

U.S. District Judge Jia M. Cobb wrote in her opinion that the deployment was “unlawful,” has caused D.C. “irreparable harm to its sovereign powers under the Home Rule Act” — the 1973 law that gave D.C. residents their own elected government — and has “infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself.”

21.11.2025 - 09:43 [ Sen. Elissa Slotkin / Youtube ]

President Trump threatened me and a group lawmakers. Here‘s my response.

(14 hours ago)

Earlier this morning, President Trump threatened me and a group of service and veteran Members of Congress with arrest, trial, and death by hanging.

Here’s my response.

21.11.2025 - 09:28 [ PBS.org ]

Trump says Democrats’ video message to military is ‘seditious behavior’ punishable by death

(November 20, 2025)

President Donald Trump on Thursday accused half a dozen Democratic lawmakers of sedition “punishable by DEATH” after the lawmakers — all veterans of the armed services and intelligence community — called on U.S. military members to uphold the constitution and defy “illegal orders.”

The 90-second video was first posted early Tuesday from Sen. Elissa Slotkin’s X account. In it, the six lawmakers — Slotkin, Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly, and Reps. Jason Crow, Chris Deluzio, Maggie Goodlander and Chrissy Houlahan — speak directly to U.S. service members, whom Slotkin acknowledges are “under enormous stress and pressure right now.”

21.11.2025 - 09:22 [ Tagesschau.de ]

Nach Aufruf ans Militär Trump wirft sechs Demokraten Hochverrat vor

Ein Video, in dem sechs Kongressmitglieder der US-Demokraten Militärangehörige aufrufen, illegale Befehle nicht zu befolgen, hat US-Präsident Donald Trump in Rage versetzt. Er bezeichnete deren Appell als Hochverrat. Die sechs Demokraten seien „Verräter“, schrieb er auf seiner Plattform Truth Social. Ihr „aufwieglerisches Verhalten“ sei „strafbar mit dem Tode“. In einem weiteren Beitrag begnügte er sich in der für ihn üblichen Großschreibung damit, die Frage zu stellen, ob die Beteiligten eingesperrt werden sollten.

21.11.2025 - 09:13 [ Sen. Elissa Slotkin / X ]

We want to speak directly to members of the Military and the Intelligence Community. The American people need you to stand up for our laws and our Constitution. Don’t give up the ship.

(November 18, 2025)

20.11.2025 - 00:14 [ ProPublica.org ]

We Found That More Than 170 U.S. Citizens Have Been Held by Immigration Agents. They’ve Been Kicked, Dragged and Detained for Days.

Reporting Highlights

– Americans Detained: The government doesn’t track how many citizens are held by immigration agents. We found more than 170 cases this year where citizens were detained at raids and protests.

– Held Incommunicado: More than 20 citizens have reported being held for over a day without being able to call their loved ones or a lawyer. In some cases their families couldn’t find them.

– Cases Wilted: Agents have arrested about 130 Americans, including a dozen elected officials, for allegedly interfering with or assaulting officers, yet those cases were often dropped.

20.11.2025 - 00:10 [ @ChicagoTribune / Youtube ]

Chicago woman dragged out of her car after colliding with ICE demands accountability

(Nov 3, 2025)

Warning: Graphic language. Video shows the vehicle collision between federal agents and Dayanne Figueroa in Chicago‘s West Town neighborhood on Oct. 10, 2025. (Provided by Fernando Figueroa)

20.11.2025 - 00:05 [ Los Angeles Times ]

ICE is grabbing U.S. citizens, defying its own rules and the Constitution

Dayanne Figueroa was on her way to work in Chicago last month when she drove onto a street where an immigration enforcement action was in progress. As she attempted to drive around the chaos, an unmarked vehicle collided with her car. Masked men jumped out of the vehicle, guns drawn and dragged Figueroa from her car by her legs. She was thrown into a minivan, taken away and held by Immigration and Customs Enforcement for hours. Dayanne Figueroa is an American citizen.

Figueroa’s arrest, captured in a now-viral video, illustrates the growing number of U.S. citizens caught up in federal immigration actions. These arrests and detentions violate ICE guidelines as well as the Constitution.

08.11.2025 - 20:36 [ Northeastern.edu ]

What is the Posse Comitatus Act, and how does it apply to Trump’s deployment of the National Guard in California and Washington, D.C.?

(September 9, 2025)

Dan Urman, director of the law and public policy minor at Northeastern University, who teaches courses on the Supreme Court, says the National Guard is often caught between state and federal authority. The guard generally reports to their respective state governors, “but if they get called into federal service, then the Posse Comitatus Act applies to them.”

“To work around this, presidents can ask governors to deploy their state’s National Guard members,” Urman says.

08.11.2025 - 20:00 [ ABC News ]

Judge permanently blocks deployment of National Guard to Portland, saying Trump exceeded his authority

In a 106-decision, Trump-appointed U.S. District Judge Karin Immergut made permanent an order she issued last month blocking the deployment into the city.

„The evidence demonstrates that these deployments, which were objected to by Oregon‘s governor and not requested by the federal officials in charge of protection of the ICE building, exceeded the president‘s authority,“ the judge wrote.

03.11.2025 - 19:13 [ New York Times ]

Supreme Court Confronts Trump and His Tariffs in Test of Presidential Power

The Supreme Court’s six conservative justices have so far been receptive to Mr. Trump’s claims of presidential authority. Among other things, they have allowed the administration to withhold funds appropriated by Congress, kick transgender troops out of the military and pursue aggressive immigration-related policies — but all on a temporary, emergency basis.

The tariffs case is the first time the justices have weighed the underlying legal merits of a key administration priority in Mr. Trump’s second term.

03.11.2025 - 19:04 [ Politico.com ]

Trump reverses course on attending Supreme Court arguments this week

The justices are set to weigh a pair of legal challenges to Trump’s use of emergency powers to impose tariffs on several countries by invoking a nearly 50-year-old law. No president before Trump has used the law, known as the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, to impose tariffs, which have brought in tens of billions of dollars to the U.S. government.

Trump’s decision came after at least one prominent Trump ally indicated it would be unwise for the president to attend.

07.10.2025 - 00:18 [ Military Times ]

Trump order aims to rebrand Defense Department as Department of War

(September 5, 2025)

The order comes as some of Trump’s closest supporters on Capitol Hill proposed legislation that would codify the new name into law, with Congress having the sole power to establish, shutter and rename federal departments.

01.10.2025 - 21:26 [ NPR.org ]

Supreme Court says Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook can stay — for now

The Supreme Court has temporarily blocked President Trump‘s attempt to fire Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook, maintaining a critical firewall for now around the central bank‘s ability to make decisions without political interference from the White House.

27.09.2025 - 21:51 [ OPB.org ]

‘The number of necessary troops is zero’: Portland mayor responds to Trump announcement

Portland Mayor Keith Wilson responded by saying “the number of necessary troops is zero, in Portland and any other American city.”

“Our nation has a long memory for acts of oppression, and the president will not find lawlessness or violence here unless he plans to perpetrate it,” Wilson said. “Imagine if the federal government sent hundreds of engineers, or teachers, or outreach workers to Portland, instead of a short, expensive, and fruitless show of force.”

27.09.2025 - 21:11 [ NPR.org ]

Trump says he‘ll send troops to Portland, Ore., to handle ‚domestic terrorists‘

He made the announcement on social media, writing that he was directing the Department of Defense to „provide all necessary Troops to protect War ravaged Portland.“ Trump said the decision was necessary to protect U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities, which he described as „under siege from attack by Antifa, and other domestic terrorists.“

27.09.2025 - 21:07 [ NewsfromtheStates.com ]

Trump to deploy troops to Portland, Oregon, vows ‘Full Force’

(today)

In a brief post to his social media platform, Trump said he would have Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth order troops deployed to Oregon’s largest city.

Trump did not specify what legal justification he had to do so, what military branch would be used or other key details. The troops would be used to defend U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities from “domestic terrorists,” he said.

27.09.2025 - 21:02 [ Washington Post ]

Pentagon plan envisions 1,000 troops for Louisiana policing mission

(September 13, 2025)

Documents reviewed by The Washington Post illustrate the Trump administration’s evolving strategy for sending the military into cities with Democratic majorities

24.09.2025 - 22:14 [ Jimmy Kimmel Live / Youtube ]

Jimmy Kimmel is Back!

Jimmy Kimmel returns to the air and talks about all of the people who have reached out over the last six days including fellow late night talk show hosts, fans of the show, and those who don’t support what he believes but support his right to share those beliefs anyway, and he expresses that it was never his intention to make light of the murder of a young man, how important it is to live in a country that allows us to have a show like this, the Chairman of the FCC Brendan Carr telling an American company that “We can do this the easy way or the hard way,” Trump saying he has no talent and no ratings, being fortunate to work at a company that has allowed us to do the show we want to do for almost 23 years, not agreeing with the decision to have our show pulled off the air last Wednesday, Trump making it very clear he wants to see Jimmy and other late night hosts fired, and solidarity from the right, left and those in the middle.

21.09.2025 - 06:52 [ Politico.com ]

‘Dangerous as hell’: Cruz blasts FCC’s Jimmy Kimmel takedown

The comments are notable coming from Cruz — both as a loyalist of President Donald Trump and as chair of the Senate Commerce Committee, which has oversight authority over the FCC.

He also joins other prominent GOP lawmakers warning about how the FCC wields its power, as Democrats continue to decry the pressure to suspend Kimmel’s show as a free speech violation.

Earlier this week, Cruz said at a POLITICO AI & Tech summit that the First Amendment “absolutely protects hate speech,” although he added that it doesn’t make people “immune from consequences” from their employers.