(archive entries)
Archiv: Avichai Mandelblit (Attorney General in Israel Feb 2016 – Feb 2022)
Former AG says government’s plan to oust his successor could spell end of democracy
Former attorney general Avichai Mandelblit warned Monday that the government’s plan to oust his successor, Gali Baharav-Miara, could result in the “complete destruction” of Israeli democracy.
“This is a recipe for complete destruction of democracy and the rule of law in the State of Israel,” he told Kan public radio when asked about the possibility that Baharav-Miara’s potential replacement would scrap Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s ongoing years-long corruption trial.
With Netanyahu‘s Coup in Full Swing, His Trial Is Stuttering. Not by Accident
(05.03.2023)
The trial and the coup are now simultaneously underway, but while the first is lumbering along, the second is galloping forward. The hearings in the Jerusalem District Court will resume only after Passover. Until the judges return from their hiatus, the wings of the High Court of Justice might be clipped, the Judicial Appointments Committee might be under full control of the politicians, or Israel might be in the throes of a historic constitutional crisis.
Mendelblit, Don’t Delay
(14.02.2018)
The police announcement Tuesday – that the investigations into two cases involving Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had been completed – came 13 months after Attorney General Avichai Mendelblit decided that a “preliminary examination” of the allegations, which itself took six months, should become full-fledged criminal investigations.
Israel‘s AG Objects to Law Preventing Netanyahu From Being Declared Unfit for Office
The conflict of interest agreement, signed in 2020, states that Netanyahu has conflicts of interest concerning appointments in the law enforcement system, given his trial for bribery, fraud and breach of trust. This means Netanyahu is barred from making judicial appointments, or getting involved in legislative matters that may impact his ongoing trial. Netanyahu signed the arrangement three years ago when then-attorney general Avichai Mandelblit drew up the arrangement to prevent Netanyahu from being declared unfit for office.
After passing the law, Netanyahu publicly stated that he would not stop his judicial overhaul and would be directly involved in the process despite the conflict of interest agreement.
Former Shin Bet chief: Bill will lead to Rabin‘s assassin being released
It will allow „liars, thieves, or maybe even rapists and murderers“ to be elected to the Knesset, form a coalition, and run as president, Ayalon, formerly commander of the navy and the Shayetet 13 navy commando unit, said. „Yigar Amir, the murderer of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, will be pardoned and it‘s likely that he‘ll run for the Knesset.“
Is Israel Prepared to Prosecute Its Prime Minister?
For this saga to end now, one of two things has to happen: Either the prosecution has to withdraw the indictment, or Netanyahu has to admit to some of the charges and leave office immediately. But the prime minister is now breathing easy and praising the judges whom he previously suspected of being leftists. And Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara, who views the court’s position as a colossal mistake, is currently determined to go all the way, including to the Supreme Court.
Three Netanyahu advisors indicted for intimidating witness in PM‘s trial
(21.06.2023)
Yonatan Orich, Ofer Golan and Israel Einhorn attempted to intimidate Shlomo Filber, a witness in Netanyahu’s Case 4000, while being employed by the Likud as part of its 2019 election campaign, according to the State Attorney’s Office.
The three allegedly sent a mobile device with an external speaker to Filber’s home, and played a recording in which they accused the witness of lying.
With Netanyahu‘s Coup in Full Swing, His Trial Is Stuttering. Not by Accident
The trial and the coup are now simultaneously underway, but while the first is lumbering along, the second is galloping forward. The hearings in the Jerusalem District Court will resume only after Passover. Until the judges return from their hiatus, the wings of the High Court of Justice might be clipped, the Judicial Appointments Committee might be under full control of the politicians, or Israel might be in the throes of a historic constitutional crisis.
‚I‘m Comfortable With My Decisions, but Uncomfortable Talking About Them‘: Netanyahu’s Account in Submarine Affair Revealed
in 2018, Netanyahu he okayed Germany‘s sale of submarines to Egypt, but refused to tell why – even to the then-defense chief Ya‘alon. The reason behind his concealment might be the biggest question yet to be answered by the State Commission of Inquiry
Speed Up Netanyahu‘s Trial
Although there is a certain logic in putting together all the corruption charges against Netanyahu, it is now clear that the decision of former Attorney General Avichai Mendelblit to do so has contributed to slowing down the process. Add to that the support by the High Court of Justice that no legal obstacle prevents Netanyahu from serving as prime minister despite his trial – the result is complete chaos.
Not Just Gifts: Aide Testifies Milchan Gave Cash to Netanyahus
Hadas Klein, personal assistant to Arnon Milchan, testified on Monday that former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu requested and received 3,000 shekels (about $900) in cash from tycoon Arnon Milchan, and that she bought his wife Sara a gift for 15,000 shekels with Milchan’s funds, also in cash. These details do not appear in the indictment, and it is the first time a claim has been presented that Netanyahu received cash from Milchan.
Hadas Klein and the price of telling the truth
For some unclear reason, former attorney-general Avichai Mandelblit decided to indict Netanyahu in this case only for fraud and breach of trust, and not bribery, and the gifts for Sara Netanyahu were not included in the indictment, because the Prime Minister’s wife is not a civil servant, even though – according to Klein – Bibi was perfectly aware of their existence, as he had told her that all of Sarah requests should be complied with.
Ministers Bid Farewell to Mandelblit at End of His Term
Ministers paid tribute to Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit on Sunday, who is set to leave the job this week after six years.
Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said that Mandelblit has filled a “great and significant” role. “We all owe you a debt of gratitude. On behalf of the government of Israel, I would like to thank you, Avichai, for many dedicated years of service to the State of Israel.”
Netanyahu expected to be called as central witness in state probe of submarine deal
On Sunday, the cabinet voted to establish the commission of inquiry into the incident, which dates back to 2012 and has become known as “Case 3000.” The submarine deal has already led to a number of indictments against several close confidants of Netanyahu, who called for the procurement, though the ex-premier has not been named as a suspect.
In Netanyahu Corruption Case, the ‚System‘ Is Also Trying to Sidestep Trial
In nearly every discussion these days about a possible plea bargain with the defendant Benjamin Netanyahu, supporters of a compromise repeat the same main argument: The deal with the former prime minister is necessary in order to undermine his attack on the justice system. This argument was made most prominently by former Supreme Court President Aharon Barak, who explained that he supported the deal because it would “take the sting out of the demolition of the court system.”
Netanyahu negotiates deal to escape prison
Former Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is negotiating a plea deal to escape prison and end his corruption trial. According to a spokesman for the Ministry of Justice of Israel and two sources involved in the talks, court terms could be announced before the end of the month.
Netanyahu‘s trial delayed by a week; next hearing due on January 31
A court on Sunday accepted the prosecution‘s request to extend the deadline due to corona protocols, delaying the next hearing until January 31.
Attorney General to Demand Netanyahu Agrees to Stay Out of Politics in Plea Deal
With two weeks left to reach a plea deal, Israel‘s attorney general will demand Netanyahu accept a finding of moral turpitude, suspending Israel‘s once longest serving prime minister from political office
Government doesn‘t depend on Netanyahu – Lapid
Asked at Yesh Atid‘s faction meeting if he still thinks his rotation as prime minister would happen if Netanyahu signs a plea deal, Lapid said: „This government will last because it does not depend on Netanyahu. It depends on working together & national unity.“
ארגוני מחאת בלפור הודיעו כי יפגינו ליד ביתו של היועמ“ש מנדלבליט, בעקבות פרסומים על משא ומתן עם נתניהו. „לאחר שנים של טיוח תיקים ושנמוך אישומים, מנסה מנדבליט, רגע לפני פרישתו, להציל את עורו של הנאשם. שום טיעון לא יכול להצדיק את קיומה של העסקה המפוקפקת הזאת שפוגעת באמון הציבור“
Israeli ex-PM Netanyahu‘s cases could be dropped in plea deal
Reports say Mr Netanyahu is, however, objecting to accepting a charge which would require him to leave politics.
Israel‘s longest serving leader was unseated after elections last year.
Netanyahu Plea Deal Could Be Rejected for Being Too Lenient
The prosecution’s proposed plea bargain with former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu contains an inherent contradiction: by insisting that the amended indictment still stresses the gravity of his misdeeds, it risks leading the court to reject the proposed sentence as too lenient.
Case against Netanyahu includes billionaire witnesses
(December 2, 2019)
By submitting his letter to parliament’s speaker, Mandelblit began an official 30-day window for Netanyahu to ask parliament for immunity. With only a minority in favor, Netanyahu’s odds of success appear slim.
But late Monday, the parliament’s legal adviser, Eyal Yinon, said that any request for immunity would have to be considered by the legislature’s “House Committee.”
The current caretaker government does not have such a committee, and it appears unlikely that it will appoint one before the Dec. 11 deadline.
That means that if Netanyahu submits an immunity request, it will likely be ruled upon only after new elections and formation of a new government that appoints a committee.
‚Slim‘ Chances to Reach Netanyahu Plea Deal Before Attorney General Retires
Since negotiations for a plea bargain were first made public, Mendelblit has been harshly criticized by Justice Ministry officials and the legal team that manages Netanyahu‘s corruption cases, which will be required to negotiate with the former prime minister‘s defense attorneys on the wording of the amended indictment. Sources close to the attorney general also believe that he will have a difficult time converting those who oppose the deal in the time he has left.
Most Israelis oppose plea deal in Netanyahu trial, polls find
Talks on a possible plea deal for Netanyahu in his criminal trial have progressed in recent weeks, with a potential solution found to the major sticking point left between his team and state prosecutors, Hebrew-language media reports said over the weekend. Netanyahu has been resisting a deal primarily due to Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit’s demand that his actions be designated as carrying “moral turpitude” — legally barring him from public service for seven years.
Netanyahu in talks to reach plea bargain in corruption trial
Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit is set to retire at the end of January. With with no permanent successor yet determined, it‘s unclear if a new attorney general would offer the same deal if Netanyahu does not accept it within the next two weeks.
Mandelblit could see a plea bargain as favorable to end Netanyahu‘s attacks on the justice system.
Netanyahu was fraying democracy, we were saved ‘by grace of God,’ AG reported to say
(7 December 2021)
Avichai Mandelblit said to tell associates privately that the ex-PM he put on trial hoped to appoint prosecutors and judges who would protect him; ‚democracy not guaranteed‘
Israel Is Dealing With Mount Meron. Now Investigate the Submarine Affair
(21.06.2021)
This isn’t the first time Gantz has tried to launch an inquiry into the submarines affair. In November, he appointed a governmental inquiry committee headed by retired Judge Amnon Straschnov. But Mendelblit ordered that panel to hold off on starting work because he said its mandate would overlap with the criminal investigation. Moreover, Straschnov resigned after less than a month after concluding that the committee’s work would be pointless due to limitations to its authority. Nevertheless, it’s impossible not to attribute the dissolution of this committee to the fact that Netanyahu and his power structure controlled Israel at the time.
Ex-Mossad Chief Cohen Calls Cash Gift From Australian Billionaire ‚Honest Mistake‘
Cohen was asked about his relationship with Packer following a Haaretz investigation, which revealed he had received a $20,000 gift for his daughter‘s wedding, though the figure cited in ‚Uvda‘ was lower.
The recently retired Mossad chief, who is a close confidant of outgoing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, also asserted that „everything was done in consultation and with the approval of the attorney general“ and that Packer wanted to give „much more.“
Incoming Mossad Chief Revealed as David Barnea. Here‘s Where He Came From
The next head of Israel‘s Mossad espionage agency will be David Barnea, whose appointment was cleared for publication Monday following consultations among Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Attorney General Avichai Mendelblit and the outgoing Mossad chief, Yossi Cohen.
Zwangsräumung von Palästinensern: Israel verschiebt Anhörung nach Protesten
Die israelische Justiz verschob angesichts der Unruhen eine wichtige Anhörung in dieser Angelegenheit: „In Anbetracht der Umstände und auf Antrag des Generalstaatsanwalts wird die morgige Anhörung abgesagt“, teilte das israelische Justizministerium mit. Der Termin vor dem Obersten Gerichtshof Israels solle binnen eines Monats nachgeholt werden.
AG launches probe into police conduct at Meron as local chief takes blame
„The Police Department for Internal Investigations will begin reviewing the events to see if there is any criminal culpability on the part of members of the police in the disaster,“ a spokesperson for Mandelblit said, adding that the police were instructed not to interview any of their members.