Archiv: Ausreden / Versprechungen / Beschwichtigungen / Rechtfertigungen / Alibis / excuses / promises / appeasements / justifications / alibis


18:24 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Prime Minister defends silence on US Marines in Tobago ‘I withheld work on radar details to protect national security’

On Wednesday, when a C-17 Globemaster with the words Air Force emblazoned on its side was spotted at Tobago’s airport, a picture of the aeroplane was circulated widely on social media, with several citizens questioning its purpose.

Later that day, outside the Red House, the Prime Minister explained that the aircraft had brought in US marines to assist in constructing a roadway. At the time, she said that, to her knowledge, there were no longer any marines in the country. However, US marines were later seen at a popular hotel in Tobago. The day after, the Prime Minister clarified that following further inquiries, she had been informed that marines were still in Tobago and were assisting with work on the runway, roadway, and radar system at Tobago’s airport.

17:46 [ theHill.com ]

Senators vow oversight after report Hegseth told troops to ‘kill everybody’ in boat strike

Sens. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) issued a statement Saturday vowing to conduct “vigorous oversight” on Caribbean strikes after a report surfaced that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered the U.S. military to “kill everybody” aboard an alleged drug vessel.

17.11.2025 - 23:25 [ Al Jazeera ]

Security Council adopts US resolution on Gaza stabilisation force

The Security Council has just voted in favour of the resolution.

The vote tally was as follows: 13 votes in favour, zero against and two abstentions, including Russia.

A reminder that this resolution contains language that outlines a potential future path to Palestinian statehood.

17.11.2025 - 20:16 [ United Nations ]

Security Council to vote on new Gaza force: Here’s what you need to know

If adopted, the resolution would provide international legal authority for a multinational security mission, seen by potential troop-contributing countries and donors as necessary for deployment. No UN peacekeeping presence is envisaged.

It could represent a decisive transition from active conflict to stabilisation and reconstruction, combining security guarantees with reforms to governance and services.

17.11.2025 - 19:10 [ theConversation.com ]

Trump’s Gaza peace plan faces a pivotal UN Security Council vote. Can it get across the line?

While many countries continue to be concerned about the details (or lack thereof) in the resolution, support from a broad coalition of regional states will probably push it over the line.

Neither the Israelis nor Palestinians have been formally included in the negotiations, but Israel has presumably worked closely to shape the text. It has pushed back strongly on language supporting Palestinian statehood and will continue to do so.

The Palestinian Authority leader, Mahmoud Abbas, has given his broad support to the plan.

07.11.2025 - 22:41 [ Associated Press ]

Israeli jets strike southern Lebanon towns, escalating near-daily attacks

(November 6, 2025)

Israeli jets struck several towns in southern Lebanon on Thursday after urging residents to leave, marking an escalation in their near-daily strikes on the country.

The airstrikes came hours after militant group Hezbollah urged the Lebanese government not to enter negotiations with Israel.

02.11.2025 - 22:18 [ Newsday.co.tt ]

Military devise ‚war‘ plans after call-out – Troops stand down

MILITARY COMMANDERS have devised three specific courses of action to be taken in the event of any land strikes involving US forces and neighbouring Venezuela.

This follows a mandatory call-out of thousands of active soldiers, sailors and other personnel on October 31 to report for duty by 6 pm and a subsequent lockdown of all military installations.

(…)

The combination of a motion to extend the state of emergency for three months being debated in Parliament, media reports of an imminent strike to Venezuela, sparked a wave of anxiety in some parts of the country with some schools ending earlier and private businesses shutting their doors.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar later called for calm, vowing to keep the public informed of any major developments.

02.11.2025 - 21:37 [ TrinidadExpress.com ]

15th US strike kills 3 more

The operation carried out on Saturday brings the total number of strikes carried out by the US in the Caribbean and Pacific to 15 and the total number of deaths 65.

02.11.2025 - 21:35 [ Al Jazeera ]

US military kills three in another strike on Caribbean vessel

The operation, which began in early September, has killed more than 62 people, including nationals from Venezuela and Colombia, and destroyed 14 boats and a semi-submersible.

The Trump administration has said the attacks are targeting alleged drug smuggling, but has yet to present any evidence to the public to substantiate its claims.

Critics have called the strikes a form of extrajudicial killing and a violation of international law, which largely prohibits countries from using lethal military force against noncombatants outside a conflict zone.

29.10.2025 - 22:47 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Death toll in massive police raid on drug gang in Brazil rises to 119

Local activist Raull Santiago said he was part of a team that found about 15 bodies before dawn.

“We saw executed people: shot in the back, shots to the head, stab wounds, people tied up. This level of brutality, the hatred spread – there’s no other way to describe it except as a massacre,” Santiago said.

Castro said on Tuesday that Rio was at war against “narco-terrorism,” a term that echoed the Trump administration in its campaign against drug smuggling in Latin America. Rio’s state government said that those who had been killed had resisted police action.

28.10.2025 - 20:50 [ UtimasNoticias.com.ve ]

US kills 14 in new attack on Pacific vessels

Fourteen people were killed and one survived, as a result of another attack by the U.S. War Department against three vessels sailing in the waters of the Eastern Pacific.

The information was confirmed by the Secretary of the US Department of War, Pete Hegseth, who detailed in his X account that “three lethal kinetic attacks were carried out against four vessels operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations (…) A total of 14 narcoterrorists died during the three attacks.”

28.10.2025 - 19:35 [ theHill.com ]

Graham says lawmakers to be briefed on potential Venezuela land attack

(October 26, 2025)

“There will be a congressional briefing about a potential expanding from the sea to the land. I support that idea, but I think [Trump] has all the authority he needs,” Graham added.

Starting in early September, the president authorized a series of strikes in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean, killing at least 43 people.

28.10.2025 - 19:29 [ CBS News ]

Sen. Lindsey Graham says land strikes in Venezuela are a „real possibility“ amid rising tensions

(October 26, 2025)

„I think President Trump‘s made a decision that [Nicolas] Maduro, the leader of Venezuela, is an indicted drug, drug trafficker, that it‘s time for him to go, that Venezuela and Colombia have been safe havens for narco-terrorists for too long, and President Trump told me yesterday that he plans to brief members of Congress when he gets back from Asia about future potential military operations against Venezuela and Colombia,“ Graham said Sunday on „Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan.“

25.10.2025 - 00:30 [ CNC3.co,tt ]

Another US strike in Caribbean targets alleged drug-running boat, killing 6, Hegseth says

In a 20-second black and white video of the strike that was posted to social media, a small boat can be seen apparently sitting motionless on the water when a long thin projectile descends on it resulting in an explosion. The video ends before the explosion dies down enough for the remains of the boat to become visible again.

In his post, Hegseth said that the strike was conducted in international waters and boasted that it was the first one conducted at night.

22.10.2025 - 11:19 [ Al Jazeera ]

UAE’s Gargash says discussions ongoing on deployment of security personnel to Gaza

Anwar Gargash, the diplomatic adviser to the UAE president, has addressed the situation in Gaza during in an interview at the Reuters NEXT Gulf Summit in Abu Dhabi.

He said much work remains to ensure…

20.10.2025 - 15:10 [ Anadolu ]

Germany to send military personnel to support Gaza ceasefire monitoring

The deployment does not require authorization from the German parliament, „as no involvement in armed operations is expected,“ the ministry said.

The announcement follows German Chancellor Friedrich Merz‘s earlier commitment to provide strong political, financial, and technical support for the Gaza ceasefire plan while stopping short of committing troops to the planned International Stabilization Force.

19.10.2025 - 12:17 [ Ynetnews.com ]

Israel renames Operation Iron Swords to War of Revival as fighting in Gaza resumes

(today, 11:57)

As fighting in Gaza resumed, Israel’s Cabinet on Sunday approved Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s proposal to rename the ongoing conflict The War of Revival, replacing the previous title Operation Iron Swords.

19.10.2025 - 11:16 [ ABC News ]

Trump says 2 survivors of US strike on submarine being sent to Ecuador, Colombia in move that avoids legal fight

In a legal defense provided to Congress, Trump told lawmakers that the U.S. is in an „armed conflict“ with the cartels and that drug smugglers are „unarmed combatants.“

Some legal experts have said such an argument is unlikely to hold up in court. However, it was unclear who would challenge Trump’s rationale in defense of the drug cartels, with few lawmakers speaking out against it and Trump continuing to expand military operations in the region in recent weeks.

15.10.2025 - 05:01 [ Times pf Israel ]

IDF: 5 Palestinians killed in Gaza City had crossed ceasefire line and neared troops

The IDF says the five Palestinian suspects who were killed after approaching forces in Gaza City’s eastern Shejaiya neighborhood this morning had crossed the so-called Yellow Line, to which the military withdrew as part of the ceasefire.

Attempts were made to disperse the suspects, and after they refused to, the IDF says it carried out fire to “remove the threat.”

07.10.2025 - 01:16 [ Common Dreams ]

UK Grants Police New Powers to Crush Peaceful Protests as Palestine Action Demonstrations Continue

Police arrested nearly 500 more pro-Palestine demonstrators on Saturday—including many Jewish activists—who participated in a protest calling for the government to “Lift the Ban” on the protest group Palestine Action, which was outlawed under Britain’s anti-terrorism law in July.

Those arrested included an 83-year-old Anglican priest, the 79-year-old daughter of a Holocaust survivor, and a 79-year-old Jewish man with terminal illness, among hundreds of others who held signs in opposition to the ban as part of a “silent vigil.”

(…=

“The right to protest is a fundamental freedom in our country. However, this freedom must be balanced with the freedom of their neighbours to live their lives without fear,” said Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood. “Large, repeated protests can leave sections of our country, particularly religious communities, feeling unsafe, intimidated, and scared to leave their homes. This has been particularly evident in relation to the considerable fear within the Jewish community, which has been expressed to me on many occasions in these recent difficult days.”

03.10.2025 - 19:00 [ Washington Post ]

U.S. in ‘armed conflict’ with drug cartels, Trump tells Congress

“The United States has now reached a critical point where we must use force in self-defense and defense of others against the ongoing attacks by these designated terrorist organizations,” the notice reads.

30.09.2025 - 01:10 [ Middle East Eye ]

Palestinian Authority thanks Trump for ‚determined effort‘ to end Gaza war

The Palestinian Authority on Monday welcomed US President Donald Trump‘s „determined efforts“ to end Israel‘s genocide in Gaza.

Trump‘s 20 point plan to end what a growing chorus of experts, world leaders and historians call a genocide in Gaza leaves open the door for the Palestinian Authority to govern the enclave after „reforms“.

27.09.2025 - 21:11 [ NPR.org ]

Trump says he‘ll send troops to Portland, Ore., to handle ‚domestic terrorists‘

He made the announcement on social media, writing that he was directing the Department of Defense to „provide all necessary Troops to protect War ravaged Portland.“ Trump said the decision was necessary to protect U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities, which he described as „under siege from attack by Antifa, and other domestic terrorists.“

27.09.2025 - 21:07 [ NewsfromtheStates.com ]

Trump to deploy troops to Portland, Oregon, vows ‘Full Force’

(today)

In a brief post to his social media platform, Trump said he would have Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth order troops deployed to Oregon’s largest city.

Trump did not specify what legal justification he had to do so, what military branch would be used or other key details. The troops would be used to defend U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities from “domestic terrorists,” he said.

15.09.2025 - 17:42 [ Middle East Eye ]

Rubio promises ‚unwavering support‘ to Israel in Gaza goals

„The people of Gaza deserve a better future, but that better future cannot begin until Hamas is eliminated,“ Rubio told reporters next to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

„You can count on our unwavering support and commitment to see [it] come to fruition.“

09.09.2025 - 03:39 [ Dawn.com ]

Palestinian Authority must disappear from the map: Smotrich

(September 8, 2025)

Far-right Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has called for the PA to be wiped from the map, and the villages of those behind the attack in occupied East Jerusalem to be reduced to ruins in retribution, Al Jazeera reports.

03.09.2025 - 15:42 [ Washington Post ]

U.S. kills 11 in strike on alleged drug vessel from Venezuela, Trump says

In a secret assessment in April, U.S. intelligence agencies said that Maduro’s government “probably does not have a policy of cooperating with TDA and is not directing TDA movement to and operations in the United States.” Rather, the assessment said, the Venezuelan regime, while sometimes tolerating the gang’s activities inside Venezuela, largely views it as a potential security threat.

The assessment contradicted Trump’s claim that Maduro controls the group, a rationale he used in invoking the Alien Enemies Act as justification to deport alleged gang members without due process.

26.08.2025 - 22:44 [ +972 Magazine ]

How Israelis turned atrocity denial into an art

(August 22, 2025)

Meanwhile, the reprehensible refusal by the vast majority of the Israeli media to show what is actually happening in Gaza means that when images do manage to slip through, the public response is often little more than a collective shrug of dismissal. Yet almost every time, that shrug is accompanied by “they deserved it,” as denial and justification intertwine in what may seem like a paradox but actually reflects two sides of the same coin.

12.08.2025 - 13:07 [ Al Jazeera ]

‘Israel killed Anas al-Sharif simply because he was a journalist’

Israeli journalist Yuval Abraham has alleged that Israel’s military intelligence created a special unit to help justify attacks in Gaza, including the killing of journalists.

“After October 7, a team called the ‘Legitimization Cell’ was established in AMAN,” Abraham said in a post on X.

“Intelligence personnel searched for information to provide ‘legitimisation’ for the army’s actions in Gaza, failed Hamas launches, use of human shields, exploitation of the civilian population.

07.08.2025 - 19:50 [ JNS.org ]

Netanyahu: Israel intends to wrestle control of all Gaza, hand it over to non-hostile Arab forces

The Security Cabinet convened at 6 p.m. at the Prime Minister’s Office in Jerusalem for the debate and a subsequent vote. The session is scheduled to last until 11 p.m. but expected to last well into the night.

07.08.2025 - 19:50 [ turnto23.com ]

Netanyahu seeks full military control of Gaza before handing it to Arab forces

“We don‘t want to be there as a governing body,” he said. “We want to hand it over to Arab forces that will govern it properly without threatening us and giving Gazans a good life.”

06.08.2025 - 05:37 [ ABC News ]

Trump admin live updates: Occupying Gaza ‚pretty much up to Israel,‘ Trump says

Trump was asked whether he‘d support a full Israeli occupation of Gaza as Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu has suggested. The president sidestepped, saying only that everything beyond food aid is „pretty much up to Israel.“

“Well, I don‘t know what the suggestion is. I know that we have, we are there now trying to get people fed,” Trump said.