No10 sources said Mrs Merkel told the premier during the 30-minute showdown that the province must remain within the EU’s customs union indefinitely.
A BREXIT deal between Britain and the EU is now „impossible“ after Angela Merkel destroyed Boris Johnson’s plan, it’s been claimed today.
After a tense phone chat between the two leaders this morning No10 sources said an agreement was now off the table, making No Deal more likely than ever.
The United Kingdom can reclaim its natural and historic role as an enterprising, outward-looking and truly global country. But first we must restore trust in our precious democracy by leaving the EU on the 31st October, writes Boris Johnson
Let us be in no doubt as to what has really happened in Parliament in the last couple of weeks. Let there be no ambiguity about the underlying motive. A large number of MPs – though by no means all – are simply trying to crush Brexit. In spite of all that they promised – and voted for – they just want to stop this country from ever leaving the European Union.
Voters won’t accept a rehashed version of Theresa May’s botched deal as reward for three years of political agony.
Not once they realise Brussels has won hands down, while we’ve surrendered all power over its relentless march to a federal superstate.
It certainly won’t entice them to vote Tory next time rather than for a resurgent Brexit Party.
Follow events in the House of Commons Chamber as MPs meet for the first time after the summer recess.
You can follow @HouseofCommons on Twitter for official news and information for the UK House of Commons Chamber.
Der britische Premierminister Boris Johnson will unter «keinen Umständen» eine weitere Verlängerung der EU-Austrittsfrist beantragen. Das sagte Johnson am Montagabend in einer Erklärung vor dem Regierungssitz Downing Street in London.
«Wir werden die Europäische Union am 31. Oktober verlassen, ohne Wenn und Aber.»
In a statement delivered outside Downing Street, Johnson said he would not ask Brussels for an extension to the Brexit process, even if Parliament forces him to.
Urging lawmakers to reject a proposal to take no-deal off the table, Johnson made it clear that he would prefer an election over another „pointless“ Brexit delay. „I don’t want an election, you don’t want an election,“ Johnson said — with the unsaid implication that a new vote would be the only alternative.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson gives Brexit statement after emergency Cabinet meeting
– The PM has convened a last-minute cabinet meeting for 5 pm, with the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg saying Boris will discuss calling an election this week
– This is well-timed to be followed by a previously-arranged garden party with all Tory MPs. Great way to get all his MPs in one place for any announcements…
– No. 10 have publicly said they are treating tomorrow’s Remainer plot to take over the House of Commons Order Paper as an implicit vote of confidence in the Government’s negotiation strategy – many are reading into this as a vote of confidence in the government as a whole.
– In the event of a government defeat on Tuesday or Wednesday, Boris would seek an election.
BORIS Johnson is planning a snap general election in five weeks‘ time if he loses to rebel Tories this week, The Sun can reveal.
The dramatic move is a significant change of thinking in No10 as it would see a nationwide poll take place before Brexit is due on October 31.
TORY MPs who vote to block a No Deal next week will be sacked from the party, we can reveal.
No10 will bar Remainer rebels from standing at the next general election.
– Maverick Brexit chief sent the stark warning at a gathering of advisers tonight
– Showed no regret for dramatic axing of Sonia Khan who he accused of leaks
– Told advisers if they didn’t agree with his decision, they knew where door was
Der Chef der größten britischen Oppositionspartei soll eine Revolte gegen Premierminister Boris Johnson planen. Doch Corbyn fehlen die Unterstützer. Seine Idee sei „nonsense“, so das Echo.
Britische Medien berichten, Oppositionsführer Corbyn wolle Premierminister Johnson per Misstrauensvotum stürzen. Als Chef einer Übergangsregierung will er so den No-Deal-Brexit verhindern und anschließend ein zweites Referendum.
– Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has been accused of plotting a ‚desperate‘ coup
– He pleaded for support in bringing a no confidence vote to prevent No Deal
– Embarrassingly Mr Corbyn’s plans have been rejected by the Lib Dems already
Downing Street told CNN it did not know whether Symonds would move in to the famous residence.
These are uncharted waters for the British establishment — never in living memory has a UK Prime Minister had an unmarried partner while in office. Unlike US first ladies, UK first partners have no strictly defined role, and it will largely be up to Symonds to shape it.