Archiv: Joseph Khalil Aoun (commander of state military in Lebanon since 2017 / President of Lebanon since January 2025)


07.11.2025 - 23:02 [ NNA-Leb.gov ]

President Joseph Aoun receives World Bank delegation, affirms Lebanon‘s commitment to ceasefire agreement

During the meeting, emphasis was made on „the depth of the partnership between Lebanon and the World Bank for nearly seventy years and the pivotal role the WB has played in supporting Lebanon throughout various difficult stages, from wars to economic and social crises.“

The President of the Republic thanked the delegation for „the continuous support that the World Bank provides to Lebanon,“ and presented the progress achieved so far in terms of the ongoing reforms, particularly with regard to strengthening governance and cooperation with the International Monetary Fund to rebuild confidence in the country’s financial sector and attract investments.

07.11.2025 - 22:39 [ NewArab.com ]

Lebanon president says no option but to negotiate with Israel to end war

(November 4, 2025)

It comes amid mounting US pressure on Beirut to begin talks with Tel Aviv and disarm the Iran-backed militant group.

Aoun has repeatedly called for dialogue, but conflicting reports in recent weeks have questioned whether Lebanon wants to limit these talks to a ceasefire mechanism or move onto high-level discussions.

30.10.2025 - 15:48 [ NNA-Leb.gov.lb ]

Aoun Orders Army to Confront Any Israeli Incursion, Calls Blida Attack “New Violation of Sovereignty”

The directive came during a meeting this morning at Baabda Palace with Army Commander General Rudolph Haykal, who briefed the President on the details of last night’s Israeli incursion into Blida, during which municipal employee Ibrahim Salamehwas killed while performing his duties.

President Aoun condemned the attack, describing it as “part of a continuous pattern of Israeli aggression” and noting that it occurred “shortly after the meeting of the Ceasefire Monitoring Committee (Mechanism), which must not limit itself to recording incidents, but act to end them by pressing Israel to respect the November ceasefire agreement and cease its violations of Lebanese sovereignty.”

06.06.2025 - 04:51 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Berri backs President Aoun‘s stance, says Israeli aggression targets all Lebanon

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri affirmed that his position is fully aligned with that of President Joseph Aoun regarding national sovereignty and in condemnation of the Israeli attacks on Beirut and Ain Qana.

31.03.2025 - 12:10 [ NNA-Leb.gov ]

Macron calls on Netanyahu to withdraw completely from Lebanese territory

French President Emmanuel Macron spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday, urging Israel to stop its attacks on Gaza.

In the evening, Macron announced on social media platform X that he had spoken with Netanyahu, calling for an end to the strikes on Gaza to restore the ceasefire and enable the delivery of humanitarian aid.

31.03.2025 - 12:04 [ NNA-Leb.gov ]

Foot patrol of French UNIFIL contingent exposed to enemy fire in outskirts of Rmeish

(March 29, 2025)

NNA – Nabatieh – National News Agency correspondent reported that a foot patrol belonging to the French contingent operating within the reserve force of the UNIFIL Commander in the Qatmoun Valley, outside the town of Rmeish, was subjected to bursts of gunfire from an Israeli occupation forces‘ position while inspecting an earthen embankment made by the enemy in the area.

31.03.2025 - 11:51 [ France24.com ]

Israeli strike on Lebanon ‚unacceptable‘ ceasefire violation, Macron says

(March 28, 2025)

Israel on Friday conducted drone strikes on a southern Beirut suburb, according to Lebanese official media, shortly after the Israeli military issued an evacuation order. The strike occurred as Lebanese President Joseph Aoun met French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris and is the first such attack since a November ceasefire between Hezbollah and Israel.

17.03.2025 - 21:31 [ CNN ]

Lebanon says it was hit by cross-border attack from Syria as tensions escalate

In response, Lebanon’s presidency said Monday that tensions on the country’s frontier with Syria “cannot go on.”

“What is happening on the eastern and northeastern borders cannot go on, and we will not accept its continuation,” the presidency said on X, adding that President Joseph Aoun has instructed the military to respond “to the source of fire.”

28.01.2025 - 13:00 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Israeli drone drops bomb near Lebanese army and civilians in Yaroun, south Lebanon

The official National News Agency said Tuesday that an Israeli drone dropped a bomb near a gathering of Lebanese army personnel and citizens in the town of Yaroun.

28.01.2025 - 12:55 [ BreakingtheNews.net ]

Israel tells southern Lebanon civilians to await return clearance

This warning comes after South Lebanon residents, accompanied by the army, attempted to return to their villages on Monday, following Israeli fire that killed over 20 people. The ceasefire, extended until February 18, allows Israel more time to withdraw, as confirmed by the White House and Lebanon‘s caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati.

27.01.2025 - 19:10 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Israel maintains occupation in eastern sector of South Lebanon: Civilians and Lebanese Army clash with Israeli forces

In towns like Bani Haiyyan, Markaba, and the region of Borj El Mlouk heading towards Kfarkela, which remains under Israeli occupation, residents defied military checkpoints and moved towards their towns. The Israeli forces responded by opening fire on the civilians and Lebanese Army positions.

27.01.2025 - 19:06 [ New York Times ]

Israeli Forces Again Open Fire as Lebanese Try to Return Home, Lebanese Officials Say

(Jan. 27, 2025Updated 12:07 p.m. ET)

Israeli forces opened fire toward residents of southern Lebanon for a second consecutive day on Monday as people pressed on with attempts to return to their homes along the border, a day after at least two dozen people were killed and scores injured in Israeli attacks, Lebanese officials said.

The Israeli fire on Sunday was the deadliest bout of violence in Lebanon since the war between Israel and Hezbollah, the Lebanese militia, ended with a truce in November. In the renewed violence on Monday, at least two people were killed and 17 others injured, according to Lebanon’s health ministry.

26.01.2025 - 15:15 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Toll from Israeli attacks rises to 15 in South Lebanon: Health Ministry

A citizen was killed in the town of Odaisseh, while a man and a young woman lost their lives in Meiss El Jabal, and another citizen was killed in Markaba.

These latest casualties bring the total number of fatalities to 15 so far, according to the ministry‘s statement.

26.01.2025 - 15:07 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Israeli gunfire kills Lebanese soldier, injures another in southern Lebanon

The Lebanese Army announced that one of its soldiers was killed and another wounded in separate incidents of gunfire by Israeli forces in southern Lebanon.

In a statement, the army reported that the fatal shooting occurred on the Marwahin-Dhayra road in the Tyre District, while the injury took place in the town of Meiss El Jabal, Marjaayoun District.

26.01.2025 - 05:49 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

France‘s Macron informs President Joseph Aoun of ongoing efforts to maintain ceasefire agreement

President Macron explained that he is in contact with various parties to maintain the ceasefire and ensure the full implementation of the agreement.

26.01.2025 - 05:39 [ ClickOrlando.com ]

Israeli military sets up roadblocks in southern Lebanon and announces it won’t withdraw by deadline

While Lebanese army soldiers are dispersed across the south’s western sector, Israeli troops remained in control of most of the southeastern sector.

Members of the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Lebanon, known as UNIFIL, said Israeli tanks and bulldozers have unexpectedly moved and set up several roadblocks, apparently in an attempt to prevent displaced Lebanese people trying to return to their villages.

26.01.2025 - 05:34 [ Al Jazeera ]

Uncertainty in Lebanon after Israel delays troop withdrawal

So, this ceasefire agreement is really a test. A test of whether the state can extend its authority across southern Lebanon.

25.01.2025 - 13:55 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Lebanese army stresses adherence to directives, vows readiness for full deployment in border zones

The army is also implementing an operational plan to enhance its deployment south of the Litani River, as mandated by the cabinet, starting from the first day the ceasefire agreement took effect.

This is being executed in successive and specific phases in coordination with the five-nation committee overseeing the agreement‘s implementation and the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

„Delays in some phases have occurred due to Israeli procrastination in withdrawing, complicating the army‘s deployment mission. Nonetheless, the army remains ready to complete its deployment as soon as the Israeli army withdraws,“ the statement said.

25.01.2025 - 13:51 [ Jerusalem Post ]

Israel procrastinating in northern border withdrawal, Lebanese army claims

Lebanon‘s army accused Israel of procrastinating in withdrawing troops from south Lebanon as required under a ceasefire that ended the war with Hezbollah, a day after Israel said its forces would remain beyond a Sunday deadline for their departure.

23.01.2025 - 00:53 [ LBCI Lebanon ]

Lebanese government formation delayed as discussions continue ahead of ceasefire deadline

President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam aimed to announce the formation of Lebanon‘s new government before January 26, the deadline for the ceasefire agreement, ensuring the country would be prepared for any security challenges with a fully-formed government.

However, the government formation has yet to be finalized. Sources indicate that the discussions are ongoing, with matters far from closed.

10.01.2025 - 10:25 [ Antiwar.com ]

US, Israel Cheer as Lebanon Elects Joseph Aoun as President

Aoun’s election happened only after former Interior Minister Suleiman Frangieh, the main alternative candidate, withdrew and endorsed Aoun.

Electing a president requires a two-thirds majority of parliament, which was met after Frangieh’s endorsement gave Aoun the support of Hezbollah and Amal Movements. Many media reports see Aoun’s election as a sign of Hezbollah’s weakness, despite most Hezbollah MPs supporting him.

10.01.2025 - 10:20 [ Middle East Eye ]

Who is Joseph Aoun, Lebanon‘s army chief turned president?

Securing 99 of the Lebanese parliament’s 128 votes, Aoun garnered widespread support across Lebanon’s political spectrum, despite initial reservations from Hezbollah and its allies.

While political statements from Aoun are rare, he recently emerged as the US and Saudi Arabia’s favoured candidate for the Lebanese presidency.

The local and international push gathered momentum following Israel’s two-month offensive in Lebanon last year, which killed over 4,000 people and displaced over a million.

08.01.2025 - 11:20 [ israel-alma.org ]

Joseph Aoun – Will He be The Next President of Lebanon?

After the explosion at the port of Beirut in 2020, countries friendly to Lebanon diverted their aid to the military, claiming that they only rely on the army to distribute it. Therefore, all the aid, estimated at tens of millions of dollars, was directed directly to the army and was at Aoun’s disposal and under his direct management. It appears that the military establishment has effectively managed the funds and has never experienced a shortage due to corruption.

08.01.2025 - 11:00 [ Wikipedia ]

Israeli invasion of Lebanon (2024–present): Casualties

Since mid-September 2024, Israeli strikes on Lebanon have killed at least 2,267 people and injured 11,022 more, according to a CNN tally.[393] While in Mid-November 2024 Lebanon Ministry of Public Health reported 3,583 killed, including 231 children.[397] UNICEF confirmed that more than 200 children has been killed.[368] The Lebanese Health Ministry has reported that most Lebanese killed by Israel are civilians.[59][92][398]

08.01.2025 - 10:40 [ Nachrichtenagentur Radio Utopie ]

Archiv: Lebanese military has neither air defense nor airforce / factual authorization for Israel airstrikes / worldwide news blackout or silence

(archive entries)

08.01.2025 - 10:31 [ Middle East Eye ]

US dangles Saudi Arabia‘s cash to push candidate for Lebanon‘s presidency

The US has told Lebanese officials that Saudi Arabia is prepared to deploy hundreds of millions of dollars to reconstruct their war-torn country if Lebanese army commander Joseph Aoun is elected president, one senior Arab official and one former senior US official told Middle East Eye.

05.01.2025 - 12:10 [ Middle East Eye ]

Unifil accuses Israel of violating Lebanese sovereignty, tearing down border marker

The UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon, known as Unifil, accused the Israeli military on Saturday f destroying a blue barrel marking the border between Israel and Lebanon, as well as a Lebanese army observation tower.

“This morning peacekeepers observed an IDF bulldozer destroying a blue barrel marking the line of withdrawal between Lebanon and Israel in Labbouneh, as well as an observation tower belonging to the Lebanese Armed Forces immediately beside a UNIFIL position there,” Unifil said.

26.11.2024 - 19:00 [ IsraelHayom.com ]

Herzi Halevi attends chiefs of staff conference in Britain

srael Hayom has learned that IDF Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Herzi Halevi participated in a Chiefs of Staff conference in Britain over the past two days. This is considered an unusual step, amid the ongoing war in Gaza and Lebanon.

Halevi departed two days ago and returned last night (Monday-Tuesday). During his two-day visit, against the backdrop of de-escalation efforts in northern Israel, Halevi met with Chiefs of Staff from various countries and provided an overview of the situation in the Middle East.

26.11.2024 - 18:35 [ Middle East Eye ]

US troops set to oversee deployment of Lebanese army during ceasefire: Report


US troops
are set to oversee the deployment of Lebanon‘s army to southern Lebanon and Israel‘s withdrawal from the area as part of a looming ceasefire deal, according to a Monday report on Israel Hayom news.

20.11.2024 - 02:44 [ Shafaq.com ]

Israeli airstrike kills three Lebanese soldiers, injures 17 in southern Lebanon

The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health reported that an Israeli airstrike targeting an army position in the town of Sarafand killed three soldiers and injured 17 others, including civilians in the surrounding area.

Last week, the army announced, that two of its soldiers were killed in an Israeli strike on one a military post in the town of Kafra.

05.11.2024 - 18:38 [ Yenisafak.com ]

Israel destroys 37 towns, over 40,000 houses in deadly onslaught on Lebanon

The Israeli army has erased 37 towns and destroyed more than 40,000 housing units since the start of its deadly offensive on Lebanon last year, local media said on Tuesday.

The state news agency NNA said the destruction is concentrated in an area extending three kilometers deep from Naqoura to the outskirts of Khiam in southern Lebanon.

05.11.2024 - 18:21 [ APNews.com ]

Israel’s path of destruction in southern Lebanon raises fears of an attempt to create a buffer zone

(November 1, 2024)

Israeli warplanes and ground forces have blasted a trail of destruction through southern Lebanon the past month. The aim, Israel says, is to debilitate the Hezbollah militant group, push it away from the border and end more than a year of Hezbollah fire into northern Israel.

Even United Nations peacekeepers and Lebanese troops in the south have come under fire from Israeli forces, raising questions over whether they can remain in place.

04.11.2024 - 08:15 [ Nachrichtenagentur Radio Utopie ]

Archiv: Lebanese military has neither air defense nor airforce / factual authorization for Israel airstrikes / worldwide news blackout or silence

(archive entries)