As Congress begins debate this week on sweeping voting and ethics legislation, Democrats and Republicans can agree on one thing: If signed into law, it would usher in the biggest overhaul of U.S. elections law in at least a generation.
Several members of the court’s conservative majority said the restrictions were sensible, commonplace and at least partly endorsed by a bipartisan consensus reflected in a 2005 report signed by former President Jimmy Carter and James A. Baker III, who served as secretary of state under President George Bush.
The Biden administration, too, told the justices in an unusual letter two weeks ago that the Arizona measures appeared to be lawful.
Perhaps no case better illustrates the political left’s current animosity to even the most commonsense election protection measures, or its willingness to use unsupported race-based allegations to attack them in court and in public.
Arizona has a voting system that any reasonable observer would think makes it extraordinarily easy to vote. The state offers online voter registration and allows anyone to vote by early ballot for any reason.
I’m seeing US progressive/DSA types getting more and more agitated about the sudden increase in hostility toward the Democrats from the left. What did they think was going to happen when the Dems took control of the entire government? You’re the power now, buttercup.
The problem with warning that the $2000 check scandal will lead to losses in the midterms is that Democrats are fine with losing in the midterms. You think they like having to own all their right wing bullshit for themselves? Democrats hate being exposed and vulnerable like this. They much prefer to blame their corporate cronyism, austerity policies and warmongering on an obstructionist Republican congress. They’re happy to lose the midterms. They prefer to lose the midterms.
Joining the Advisory Council are labor leaders, nonprofit leaders, students, scientists, artists, commentators, and elected officials including:
– Amaya Wangeshi — Founder of Beyond Bernie, former volunteer national high school director Bernie 2020
– Chase Iron Eyes — Co-founder of the Last Real Indians
– Cheng-Sim Lim — Board member of Healthcare for All LA, national Bernie Delegate
– Chris Smalls — Founder of The Congress of Essential Workers, led national-reported Amazon warehouse walkout
– Dr. Cornel West — Public intellectual, Harvard professor, author, co-host of The Tight Rope Podcast
– Eleanor Goldfield — Activist, singer, writer, host of Act Out!, creator of Art Killing Apathy
– Eynelys García — Host of the Eynelys Show and YRLA
– Jimmy Dore — Host of The Jimmy Dore Show, host of several Comedy Central Specials, political comedian
– Justin Jackson — NFL running back, LA Chargers
– Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap — National Director, Move to Amend
– Maebe A Girl — Silver Lake Councilwoman, first drag queen elected to public office in the U.S.
– Medea Benjamin — Co-founder of Code Pink
– Mike McCorkle — Former chair of the Progressive Democrats of Colorado, lawyer, national Bernie delegate
– Rep. Mike Sylvester — Maine State Representative, endorsed by DSA
– Omar Fernandez — President of the American Postal Workers Union of VT, executive council member of the VT AFL-CIO
– Dr. Peter Kalmus — Climate scientist, author, Bernie 2020 surrogate
– Ron Placone — Host of Get Your News on with Ron, political comedian
– Rose McGowan — Cultural Resetter, Time Magazine Person of the Year, founder of the Rose Army, NYT bestselling author
– Ryan Knight — Host of the Amped Up Podcast, Medicare for all advocate
– Susan Sarandon — Academy-award winning Actress, nominated for nine Golden Globes, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, activist
In an interview with The New York Post, Jacobs warned the congresswoman against launching a primary challenge against Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.
Jacobs argued that a race between Ocasio-Cortez and Schumer would harm both candidates’ careers and described Schumer as a “progressive.”
There are too many of us to keep us tied up trying to still be relevant to these dense, self-serving corporate dems. #BernieSurge