Daily Archives: 16. April 2025


16.04.2025 - 23:36 [ Guardian ]

‘The Saudis couldn’t do it without us’: the UK’s true role in Yemen’s deadly war

(June 13, 2019)

For more than four years, a brutal Saudi air campaign has bombarded Yemen, killing tens of thousands, injuring hundreds of thousands and displacing millions – creating the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. And British weapons are doing much of the killing. Every day Yemen is hit by British bombs – dropped by British planes that are flown by British-trained pilots and maintained and prepared inside Saudi Arabia by thousands of British contractors.

16.04.2025 - 23:32 [ Daily Mail ]

Our secret dirty war: Five British Special Forces troops are wounded in Yemen while ‚advising‘ Saudi Arabia on their deadly campaign that has brought death and famine to millions

(March 23, 2019)

The Mail on Sunday can also reveal how RAF engineers sent to Saudi Arabia to repair the kingdom’s fleet of military aircraft narrowly escaped death last week. Iranian-backed rebels launched a ‘suicide drone’ strike on the King Khalid air base, where they are maintaining Tornado jets used to bomb civilian areas in Yemen.

According to reports, the drone exploded on the runway, destroying two Tornados. The MoD said no UK personnel were wounded.

16.04.2025 - 23:19 [ Arab Center Washington DC ]

A Decade after the Saudi Military Intervention in Yemen: An Assessment

(March 25, 2025)

Still, Saudi Arabia’s military campaign has largely failed to achieve its stated objectives, instead drawing global criticism for the immense toll that it has taken on civilian lives. The war has caused more than 375,000 deaths (most due to hunger resulting from the Saudi-led naval blockade) and the widespread destruction of Yemen’s infrastructure, exacerbating the country’s humanitarian crisis.

16.04.2025 - 22:54 [ theCradle.co ]

Saudi Arabia bombs Yemen border areas hours after intense US airstrikes

Officials from Saudi Arabia have privately said they will not join or help a ground offensive in Yemen.

16.04.2025 - 22:41 [ Saba.ye ]

Health: Citizen martyred by US aggression on Al-Nahda neighborhood in Sana‘a

In a statement received by the Yemeni News Agency (Saba), the Health Ministry confirmed the martyrdom of a citizen following an airstrike by the US aggression targeting Al-Nahda residential neighborhood in Al-Thawra district in the capital, Sana‘a, as a preliminary toll.

16.04.2025 - 22:38 [ Middle East Eye ]

US launches 12 air raids on Sanaa as strikes hit Yemen‘s al-Jawf Province

US warplanes have carried out a series of air raids on Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, according to Houthi-aligned outlet Al Masirah.

The channel reports that 12 strikes hit the al-Hafa area in the al-Sabeen district early today.

16.04.2025 - 21:18 [ Joel S. / Bluesky ]

Chris Van Hollen is underrated as a Democratic presidential contender in 2028.

(today)

He‘s much better than the average Democrat on Palestine, too. And he‘s a fellow Swarthmore alum, like I am!

16.04.2025 - 21:15 [ Saqib Ali, I'm a dirty leftist and I'm coming for your country!!! / Bluesky ]

Chris Van Hollen For President 2028.

(February 6, 2025)

16.04.2025 - 21:02 [ Politico.com ]

Van Hollen travels to El Salvador as Trump officials ramp up defense of illegal deportation

Van Hollen has been extremely vocal in advocating for his release, promising Monday to travel to El Salvador to “check on” his condition and “discuss his release” after Bukele rebuffed attempts to set up a meeting during his visit to Washington.

16.04.2025 - 21:00 [ CBS News ]

Judge finds probable cause to hold Trump administration in criminal contempt over removals of Venezuelan migrants to El Salvador

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg wrote in a 46-page decision that the government‘s actions on March 15 „demonstrate a willful disregard“ for his order barring the government from transferring certain migrants into Salvadoran custody under the wartime Alien Enemies Act.

16.04.2025 - 06:14 [ Daniel Neun / Radio Utopie ]

Meine Interpretation dieser Republik: Ein Haufen Schwachsinniger, Lügner und Feiglinge

(June 20, 2014)

Ich lebe in einer Republik, in denen den Menschen ihr eigener Verstand fast nichts mehr zählt.

Ich bin es leid, meinen lieben MitbürgerInnen versuchen das Lesen beizubringen. Ich bin es leid dreißig, vierzig Mal das Gleiche zu schreiben, bis diese es schaffen zu begreifen und weiterzuerzählen. Ich bin es aber vor allem leid darauf zu warten, bis diese unaussprechlich verkommenen Staatsschauspieler des Bundestages mal wieder aus ihrem Urlaub zurück kommen, den sie sich rund sieben Monate im Jahr gönnen, um mir dann deren Ausreden und Erklärungen anzuhören, warum sie ja nichts machen können, weil sie nur im Parlament sitzen.

16.04.2025 - 06:07 [ Nachrichtenagentur Radio Utopie ]

Archiv: West Asia War / Conquering of Yemen through Saudi-backed north-eastern regime of Rashad al-Alimi and West Asia war coalition / run-up / 2025 (note: tag created on 11-01-2025)

(archive entries)

16.04.2025 - 05:52 [ Israel Hayom ]

US officials: Yemen plans ground offensive against Houthis

Sources familiar with the matter said that American private-sector defense contractors have even provided advice to Yemeni elements regarding the potential offensive. Yemeni and American sources added that the United Arab Emirates, which supports those forces, presented the plan to US officials in recent weeks.

American officials revealed that the US is open to providing assistance for a ground assault by local forces in Yemen. However, they noted that no decision has been made yet on whether to support the effort.

16.04.2025 - 05:51 [ Wall Streetr Journal ]

U.S. Strikes Spur Plans for Yemeni Ground War Against Houthis

(April 14, 2025)

Yemeni militias are planning a ground offensive against the Houthis in an attempt to take advantage of a U.S. bombing campaign that has degraded the militant group’s capabilities, Yemeni and U.S. officials say.

The Yemeni factions are sensing an opportunity to oust the Houthis from at least parts of the Red Sea coast they have controlled in the decade since they took power over much of the country’s northwest, the officials said.

16.04.2025 - 05:34 [ Times of San Diego ]

San Diego-based USS Carl Vinson arrives in Mideast, launches airstrikes against Houthi rebels

The San Diego-based USS Carl Vinson has arrived in Mideast waters and is launching air strikes on Houthi rebels ahead of the next round of talks between Iran and the United States over Tehran’s rapidly advancing nuclear program.

The Associated Press cited satellite photos taken Monday by the European Union’s Copernicus program showing the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier operating northeast of Socotra, an island off Yemen that sits near the mouth of the Gulf of Aden.

16.04.2025 - 05:30 [ Associated Press ]

Another US aircraft carrier in Mideast waters ahead of second round of Iran-US nuclear talks

The operation of the USS Carl Vinson and its strike group in the Arabian Sea comes as suspected U.S. airstrikes pounded parts of Yemen controlled by the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels overnight into Tuesday. American officials repeatedly have linked the monthlong U.S. campaign against the Houthis under President Donald Trump as a means to pressure Iran in the negotiations.

16.04.2025 - 05:11 [ United Nations ]

Israeli strikes in Lebanon continue to kill civilians, UN rights office warns

At least 71 civilians have been killed by Israeli forces in Lebanon since the 27 November 2024 ceasefire, according to an initial review by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).

Among the dead are 14 women and nine children. More than 92,000 people remain displaced by the violence.

16.04.2025 - 05:09 [ NNA-Leb.gov ]

Public Health Ministry‘s Emergency Operations Center: One martyr, three wounded including a child in Israeli airstrike on Aitaroun

(14 hours ago)

NNA – The Public Health Emergency Operations Center at the Ministry of Public Health on Tuesday announced that an Israeli drone strike on a car in the southern Lebanese town of Aytaroun led to the martyrdom of one person and the injury of three others, including a child.“

16.04.2025 - 05:02 [ My Lai Memorial Exhibit ]

FREE FIRE ZONES

From a psychological-warfare leaflet dropped on villages:
“THE U.S. MARINES WILL NOT HESITATE TO DESTROY, IMMEDIATELY, ANY VILLAGE OR HAMLET HARBORING THE VIETCONG. WE WILL NOT HESITATE TO DESTROY, IMMEDIATELY, ANY VILLAGE OR HAMLET USED AS A VIETCONG STRONGHOLD TO FIRE AT OUR TROOPS OR AIRCRAFT.”

16.04.2025 - 04:31 [ United Nations General Secretary ]

Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General – on Gaza

(April 14, 2025)

The Secretary-General recalls that, under international humanitarian law, wounded and sick, medical personnel and medical facilities, including hospitals, must be respected and protected. Medical supplies are running low while mass casualties continue to fill hospitals.

Nearly 70 per cent of Gaza is now under Israeli-issued displacement orders or within a “no-go” zone, leaving Palestinians in Gaza with no safe place to go and little to survive on.

16.04.2025 - 04:30 [ Middle East Eye ]

UN chief warns most of Gaza under Israeli evacuation or no-go orders

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has raised alarm over the dire state of Gaza, warning that “70 percent of Gaza” is now either under forced Israeli evacuation orders or designated as a military “no-go zone”.

16.04.2025 - 03:42 [ Middle East Eye ]

Gaza death toll reaches 51,000

15 April 2025 10:26 BST

Israel’s war on Gaza has killed at least 51,000 Palestinians and injured 116,343 since 7 October 2023, the Health Ministry in Gaza said in a statement on Telegram on Tuesday.

At least 1,630 Palestinians have been killed and 4,302 wounded since Israel broke the ceasefire on 18 March, the ministry said, adding that at least 17 people were killed and 69 injured in the past 24 hours.

16.04.2025 - 03:18 [ PBS.org ]

Sen. Chris Van Hollen says he’ll travel to El Salvador if Abrego Garcia isn’t released by midweek

Democratic Sen. Chris Van Hollen from Maryland wrote to El Salvadoran diplomats to “urgently request” meeting with the country’s president, Nayib Bukele, to discuss the potential return of a former Maryland resident, Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who was deported to the Central American nation by the Trump administration.

16.04.2025 - 03:13 [ CNN ]

Judge in Abrego Garcia case says there’s no evidence Trump administration is following her orders

“I do need evidence in this regard because to date what the record shows is nothing has been done,” US District Judge Paula Xinis said in a tense hearing Tuesday afternoon in Greenbelt, Maryland.

Xinis said she was unsatisfied with the sworn statements she’s been getting each day from Trump administration officials detailing what the government has been doing to carry out her directive.

She wants discovery, she told a Justice Department attorney, “to determine whether you are abiding by the court order. My court orders.”