Archiv: Kamla Persad-Bissessar


18:53 [ Trinidad Express ]

Resisted by Grenada, radar spotted in Tobago: As 4th US aircraft flies in

Yet another US Marine aircraft was detected overnight heading into Tobago, the fourth of its kind over the course of the past week, as imagery on the island appeared to depict a powerful air defence US radar system at the ANR Robinson international Airport.

The sightings come after Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday confirmed the US military presence on the sister isle, backtracking on previous claims that previous military aircraft sighted on the island were only there to help the country with a “roadway.”

18:24 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Prime Minister defends silence on US Marines in Tobago ‘I withheld work on radar details to protect national security’

On Wednesday, when a C-17 Globemaster with the words Air Force emblazoned on its side was spotted at Tobago’s airport, a picture of the aeroplane was circulated widely on social media, with several citizens questioning its purpose.

Later that day, outside the Red House, the Prime Minister explained that the aircraft had brought in US marines to assist in constructing a roadway. At the time, she said that, to her knowledge, there were no longer any marines in the country. However, US marines were later seen at a popular hotel in Tobago. The day after, the Prime Minister clarified that following further inquiries, she had been informed that marines were still in Tobago and were assisting with work on the runway, roadway, and radar system at Tobago’s airport.

26.11.2025 - 17:31 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

US Secretary of War visits region today; Maduro officials hold closed door talks

(November 25, 2025)

War Secretary Pete Hegseth will travel to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, today to meet the country’s top leaders, including President Luis Abinader, Minister of Defence Lt Gen Carlos Antonio Fernández Onofre and other officials, the Associated Press reported yesterday.

The announcement came the same day that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar met yesterday.

26.11.2025 - 17:30 [ Reuters ]

US military‘s Caine meets with Trinidad prime minister

(November 25, 2025)

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine told Persad-Bissessar that the United States remained committed to working with Trinidad and Tobago to „address shared threats and deepen collaboration across the Caribbean,“ the Pentagon said.

12.11.2025 - 00:12 [ Trinidad Express ]

T&T distances itself again

On Sunday, Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC)-European Union summit participants signed a joint declaration in Santa Marta, Colombia, which contains an article citing the “situation in the Caribbean and Pacific” and calling for dialogue and cooperation. Although present, T&T distanced itself from that specific point.
(…)
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has previously welcomed the US presence, promising the US unflinching access to the country’s territory in the event of a Venezuelan attack on neighbouring Guyana.

08.11.2025 - 00:41 [ Trinidad Express ]

PM may have to account to the International Criminal Court, says Browne

“This represents the first time in our records that a prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago would have proudly and publicly associated this nation with violations of international human rights of the UN Charter and International law,” he said.

Browne said the Prime Minister of T&T has continued to double down and triple down, including very recently her public stance in support of these extra-judicial killings.

He said while the US is not one of the state parties to the ICC, Trinidad and Tobago is, having been one of the founders.

02.11.2025 - 22:18 [ Newsday.co.tt ]

Military devise ‚war‘ plans after call-out – Troops stand down

MILITARY COMMANDERS have devised three specific courses of action to be taken in the event of any land strikes involving US forces and neighbouring Venezuela.

This follows a mandatory call-out of thousands of active soldiers, sailors and other personnel on October 31 to report for duty by 6 pm and a subsequent lockdown of all military installations.

(…)

The combination of a motion to extend the state of emergency for three months being debated in Parliament, media reports of an imminent strike to Venezuela, sparked a wave of anxiety in some parts of the country with some schools ending earlier and private businesses shutting their doors.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar later called for calm, vowing to keep the public informed of any major developments.

02.11.2025 - 22:11 [ Newsday.co.tt ]

Patriotic Front: Citizens want informed leaders

On October 31, Persad-Bissessar said she was unaware of reports that TT Defence Force (TTDF) personnel had been ordered to immediately return to base. She added she would find out and repeated her statement for people to remain calm in the face of reports which claimed US military strikes against targets in Venezuela were imminent.

Panday said, „The concern is that the head of the NSC should at least be aware of why the Defence Force was placed on high alert.“

She added if Persad-Bissessar genuinely did not know, „that raises serious questions about communication and coordination at the highest level of government, especially in a time of regional tension.“

28.10.2025 - 21:59 [ Yván Gil Pinto, Ministro del Poder Popular para las Relaciones Exteriores de la República Bolivariana de Venezuela / Telegram ]

Venezuela ha informado con claridad al Gobierno de Trinidad y Tobago sobre la operación de falsa bandera dirigida por la CIA: atacar un buque militar estadounidense estacionado en dicha isla y luego culpar a Venezuela, para justificar una agresión contra nuestro país.

Es el mismo guion imperial del barco Maine y del Golfo de Tonkin: fabricar un conflicto para imponer intereses ajenos a nuestra región.

Venezuela actúa con firmeza y responsabilidad: en nuestro territorio se está desmantelando una célula criminal financiada por la CIA vinculada a esta operación encubierta. Esperamos que Trinidad y Tobago haga lo propio y no permita que su territorio sea usado para maniobras que amenazan la paz del Caribe.

Respetamos al pueblo de Trinidad y Tobago y confiamos en su conciencia para impedir que su país sea arrastrado a una operación sucia de guerra.

Venezuela no caerá en provocaciones, pero nadie se confunda: defenderemos nuestra soberanía sin titubeos. La Primera Ministra Kamla Persad-Bissessar debe asumir su responsabilidad ante el Caribe y ante la historia: o se pone del lado de la paz o se hunde en la agenda de la CIA.

28.10.2025 - 21:48 [ FirstPost.com ]

Venezuela claims to foil false-flag CIA plot targeting US warship in Trinidad

The allegation came a day after Venezuela said it had arrested what it called mercenaries linked to the CIA.

“On our territory a criminal cell financed by the CIA and linked to this covert operation is being dismantled,” Gil said.

US President Donald Trump said recently he has approved covert action in Venezuela and is considering launching operations on Venezuelan territory.

28.10.2025 - 21:43 [ ABC.net.au ]

Venezuela accuses US of plotting false-flag operation in Caribbean

(18 hours ago)

Venezuela says it has thwarted what it calls a CIA-linked plot to attack a US warship anchored in Trinidad.

It claims the US would have blamed Venezuela for the attack on the USS Gravely, a guided-missile destroyer, to justify aggression against it.

The allegation comes a day after Venezuela said it had arrested mercenaries it alleged were connected to the US intelligence agency.

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Yvan Gil said in a statement he had advised Trinidad and Tobago of the alleged false-flag operation.

28.10.2025 - 21:38 [ U.S. Embassy in Trinidad and Tobago ]

U.S. and Trinidad and Tobago Launch Joint Defense Forces Exercises

(October 24, 2025)

The USS Gravely (DDG-107) will visit Trinidad and Tobago from October 26 to 30, mooring in Port of Spain, while the 22nd U.S. Marine Expeditionary Unit will train alongside the Trinidad and Tobago Defense Force (TTDF) during the same week. The U.S. military services’ presence in Trinidad and Tobago is part of the longstanding cooperation between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago.

25.10.2025 - 22:49 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Analysts warn regime change in Venezuela could destabilise region

(October 23, 2025)

Former Grenada House Speaker Chester Humphrey accused Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar of capitulating to US policy in a way that was not befitting of the office she held.

“This is what is happening to the prime ministership in Trinidad and Tobago! It is being desecrated by someone who, first of all, may be in a state of stupor, does not understand the principles involved in the zone of peace,” Humphrey said.

25.10.2025 - 01:38 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

PM blames Opposition for panic over arrival of US warship

(October 24, 2025)

The PM said the Government welcomes the US Navy and Marine Corps for a “joint military training with the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.”

Persad-Bissessar reiterated, “The Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs has stated that the USS Gravely (DDG-107) will visit Trinidad and Tobago from October 26 to 30, mooring in Port-of-Spain, while the 22nd US Marine Expeditionary Unit will conduct joint training exercises with the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force (TTDF) during the same period.”

17.10.2025 - 13:27 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Kamla, Defence Minister mum on 2 Trinis killed in US strike

As T&T and the wider Caribbean await an official response to reports that two nationals were among six people killed in a United States kinetic strike off Venezuela’s coast, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Defence Minister Wayne Sturge avoided questions from the media on the matter yesterday.

17.10.2025 - 13:07 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

FFOS warns fishermen after US strike kills two Trinis: Stay close to shore

Aboud said it was frightening that T&T’s leader would endorse such actions, calling her comments “outrageous, violent, ignorant, aggressive, undiplomatic and unbecoming of a senior counsel.”

“Our people pay the price. I do not recommend that any of our boys move further than a mile from shore. I strongly advise all seamen to travel at five to ten knots because, at any moment, you can be bombed out of the sea. Even if it’s an accident, they will say, ‘We’re sorry, we thought…’ This is not what a responsible Prime Minister should be bringing to our shores and our people,” Aboud said.

17.10.2025 - 12:55 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Fishermen terrified following latest US bombing at sea, says Aboud

“People are terrified at the risk of being killed at sea,” he observed. “Personally, I am very upset with our national position of bringing American warships and allowing them to by-pass the judicial process.”

“We have law and order. We are a civilised nation. Yet we have adopted and given blessing to warmongering murderers to come into our territory and kill people outside of the judicial process,” Aboud said.

17.10.2025 - 12:50 [ CaribbeanNationalWeekly.com ]

NGO official confirms two Trinidadians among six killed in US strike near Venezuela

Gary Aboud, secretary of the non-governmental organisation Fishermen and Friends of the Sea, confirmed Thursday that two Trinidad and Tobago nationals were among six people killed following a United States military airstrike on a small vessel in international waters near the coast of Venezuela earlier this week.

“We would like to offer our condolences to the families, friends, children, wives of the deceased. Very, very sorry that they were murdered like this. I am very very sorry,” Aboud said on a radio broadcast Thursday with regards to the killings of Richie Samaroo and Chad “Charpo” Joseph.