Daily Archives: 28. August 2025


28.08.2025 - 23:28 [ United Nations ]

Gaza death and destruction ‘without parallel in recent times’: Guterres

Mr. Guterres was speaking ahead of a Security Council meeting on the situation in Haiti but stopped to brief reporters on the “unfolding tragedy that is Gaza”, where “yet more unconscionable Israeli strikes” have occurred.

Incidents include the two airstrikes on Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis earlier this week which killed civilians, including medical personnel and journalists, “all with the world watching”.

The Secretary-General said “these attacks are part of an endless catalogue of horrors” and called for accountability.

“Gaza is piled with rubble, piled with bodies, and piled with examples of what may be serious violations of international law,” he said.

“Hostages taken by Hamas and other groups must be released and the atrocious treatment they have been forced to endure must stop. Civilians must be protected.”

Mr. Guterres stressed that “the levels of death and destruction in Gaza are without parallel in recent times”.

Moreover, “famine is no longer a looming possibility – it is a present-day catastrophe.”

People are dying from hunger, yet Gaza’s food, water and healthcare systems have been systematically dismantled.

“These are the facts on the ground. And they are the result of deliberate decisions that defy basic humanity,” he said. “Israel, as the occupying power, has clear obligations.”

He said Israel must ensure the provision of food, water, medicine, and other essentials. This is in addition to agreeing to and facilitating far greater humanitarian access to Gaza as well as protecting civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Mr. Guterres said the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has given binding provisional measures which must be implemented in full and immediately.

They include the obligation to take all steps to ensure unfettered humanitarian and medical assistance to Palestinians throughout the Gaza Strip without delay and in full cooperation with the United Nations.

Meanwhile, the UN and partners are doing all they can, he said. This is often at great personal risk, as tragically 366 UN personnel have been killed.

“Day after day, our efforts are being blocked, delayed, and denied,” he said. “This is unacceptable.”

Mr. Guterres also addressed the situation in the West Bank, describing it as “profoundly alarming”.

He said Israeli military operations, settler violence, demolitions, and discriminatory policies are driving displacement and deepening vulnerability.

Furthermore, the relentless expansion of settlements is fracturing communities and cutting off access to vital resources.

The Israeli authorities recently approved of a plan for the construction of thousands of settlements in the E1 area. He said this would effectively separate the northern and southern West Bank, representing “an existential threat to the two-state solution” between Israelis and Palestinians.

“I repeat: the Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank including East Jerusalem have been established – and are being maintained — in violation of international law,” he stressed.

“Israel must cease such actions and comply with its obligations.”

The Secretary-General concluded his remarks by emphasizing that there is no military solution to the conflict.

“I appeal once again for an immediate and permanent ceasefire, unfettered humanitarian access across Gaza, and the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages,” he said.

“Starvation of the civilian population must never be used as a method of warfare. Civilians must be protected. Humanitarian access must be unimpeded,” he added, ending with a plea for “No more excuses. No more obstacles. No more lies.”

28.08.2025 - 22:41 [ HuffPost.com ]

A Closer Look at Where Rwanda‘s Lethal Weapons Came From

(June 11, 2014)

Despite this recognition by the UN of the devastating effect that imported weapons was having, absolutely nothing was done to prevent or stop the slaughter of one million Tutsis and those who protected them.

Twenty years ago in Rwanda, the government got the message from the international community, again and again, that it could get away with genocide facilitated by foreign arms. It was not until May 17, 1994, more than five weeks into the genocide, that the United Nations Security Council imposed an arms embargo on the genocidal regime.

With the global Arms Trade Treaty still not ratified, I cannot help but wonder how many other governments are getting that very same message from the international community today.

28.08.2025 - 22:23 [ CBS News ]

Rwandan Genocide Survivor Recalls Horror

(November 30, 2006)

There are things you can point to, but do they explain what happened? What could possible explain what happened?

Here‘s one explanation from one killer who had been Immaculee‘s neighbor, Alex Ntibirukee, who spent 11 years in prison after admitting he killed six people: „They told me that I would be rewarded with a piece of land and a banana plantation. They told the same to other people, but you see they didn‘t give me any banana plantation.“

28.08.2025 - 22:15 [ Globalpolicy.org ]

UN Failed Rwanda

(December 16, 1999)

In a statement, Annan acknowledged the systematic failure of the United Nations and expressed his „deep remorse“ on behalf of the organization. Annan, who was head of UN peacekeeping operations during the genocide, commissioned the report to find out the truth about the UN role in the massacre and to learn from the mistakes. He appointed a three-man team to conduct the 6-month-long analysis, and turned over UN files, cables and archives as well as UN personnel for testimony.
(…)
The report faulted the United Nations in several key areas leading up to that date, including its failure to act on a now-famous cable sent by the force commander, Canadian Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire on Jan. 11, 1994 warning of the risk of genocide. The cable was received by Annan and wasn‘t shared with the Security Council and didn‘t receive the follow-up such an important piece of evidence deserved, the report said. In addition, the United Nations and Security Council virtually ignored a groundbreaking assessment by the UN human rights investigator for Rwanda who raised the possibility in August 1993 that a genocide might occur.

But the report points most of its criticism at how the United Nations – and in particular its Security Council members – reacted to the killings once they started. There was little political will within the council, particularly from the United States, to authorize a robust peacekeeping force in the months after the failed Somalia mission, that left 18 Americans dead. After rampaging killers in Rwanda killed 10 Belgian peacekeepers at the beginning of the genocide, there was little will to keep the peacekeepers in place, much less strengthen their mandate.

The departure of peacekeepers from a school where thousands of civilians had massed hoping for protection was cited by the report as one of the main reasons for the enduring bitterness Rwandans feel Thursday toward the United Nations because of the ensuing massacre there. „The manner in which the troops left, including attempts to pretend to the refugees that they were not in fact leaving, was disgraceful,“ the report said.

28.08.2025 - 21:54 [ Los Angeles Times ]

Belgian Charged in Rwanda Deaths of 10 Peacekeepers

(December 30, 1995)

The Belgian paratroopers were guarding Rwandan Prime Minister Agathe Uwilingiyimana, who was also killed by rampaging Hutu soldiers.

Families of the troopers have charged that Marchal and other officers placed the lightly armed peacekeepers in a position of excessive danger and failed to launch a rescue mission after their capture.

Prosecutor Bernard Dejemeppe said the investigation found that Marchal could have done much more to prevent the deaths, including using other U.N. forces present, seeking the advice of other officers and better assessing the risks his men faced.

28.08.2025 - 21:41 [ HistoryScrolls / Youtube ]

Rwanda 1994: How 1 Million Were Killed in 100 Days

May 30, 2025 #paulkagame #historydocumentary #africanhistory
In just 100 days, nearly 1 million people were killed in the 1994 Rwandan Genocide. This documentary explores how decades of colonial division, civil war, and the assassination of President Juvénal Habyarimana led to one of the most horrifying massacres in modern history.

28.08.2025 - 20:40 [ CBS News ]

1 million killed by machete, club and gun: Rwanda remembers its genocide 20 years later

(April 7, 2014)

Ever since the massive killing spree, the world community has been forced to acknowledge that it stood by and did nothing.

28.08.2025 - 20:30 [ BBC ]

Rwanda: How the genocide happened

(May 17, 2011)

When the Belgian colonists arrived in 1916, they produced identity cards classifying people according to their ethnicity.

The Belgians considered the Tutsis to be superior to the Hutus. Not surprisingly, the Tutsis welcomed this idea, and for the next 20 years they enjoyed better jobs and educational opportunities than their neighbours.

Resentment among the Hutus gradually built up, culminating in a series of riots in 1959. More than 20,000 Tutsis were killed, and many more fled to the neighbouring countries of Burundi, Tanzania and Uganda.

When Belgium relinquished power and granted Rwanda independence in 1962, the Hutus took their place. Over subsequent decades, the Tutsis were portrayed as the scapegoats for every crisis.

This was still the case in the years before the genocide.

28.08.2025 - 19:05 [ Reuters ]

Hundreds of UN staff pressure rights chief to call Gaza a genocide, letter shows

„OHCHR has a strong legal and moral responsibility to denounce acts of genocide,“ said the letter signed by the Staff Committee on behalf of over 500 employees, which called on Turk to take a „clear and public position“.
„Failing to denounce an unfolding genocide undermines the credibility of the U.N. and the human rights system itself,“ it added.
It cited the international body‘s perceived moral failure for not doing more to stop the 1994 Rwanda genocide that killed more than 1 million people.

28.08.2025 - 18:39 [ Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) ]

Membership: Committee on Enforced Disappearances

Current members
Name of Member Nationality Term expires (30 June)
Mr. Juan Pablo ALBAN ALENCASTRO (Rapporteur) Ecuador 2029
Mr. Yakouma Jean de Dieu BAMBARA Burkina Faso 2029
Ms. Marija DEFINIS Croatia 2029
Mr. Matar DIOP (Vice Chair) Senegal 2027
Mr. Olivier de FROUVILLE (Chair) France 2027
Mr. Fidelis KANYONGOLO Malawi 2027
Ms. Barbara LOCHBIHLER Germany 2027
Mr. Elías Ricardo SOLÍS GONZÁLEZ Panama 2029
Mr. Paulo de TARSO VANNUCHI Brazil 2029
Ms. Carmen Rosa VILLA QUINTANA

28.08.2025 - 18:38 [ Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) ]

Members: Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances

Ms Aua Balde (Guinea-Bissau), appointed in 2020
(…)
Ms. Gabriella Citroni (Italy), Chairperson, appointed in 2021
(…)
Ms. Grażyna Baranowska (Poland), Vice-Chairperson, appointed in 2022
(…)
Ms. Ana Lorena Delgadillo Perez (Mexico), appointed in 2023
(…)
Mr. Mohammed Al-Obaidi (Iraq), appointed in 2024

28.08.2025 - 18:14 [ France24.com ]

UN experts decry ‚enforced disappearances‘ of Gazans at food aid sites

(today)

Israel’s military was reportedly “directly involved in the enforced disappearances of people seeking aid”, said the statement signed by the five members of the UN Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances, along with Francesca Albanese, the UN special rapporteur on rights in the Palestinian territories, and her counterpart on the right to food, Michael Fakhri.

28.08.2025 - 17:48 [ Al Jazeera ]

Palestinians distraught over relatives missing at deadly Gaza aid sites

(August 4, 2025)

Many families face an agonising wait to find out why their loved ones never returned from distribution sites run by the notorious GHF.

28.08.2025 - 17:45 [ IslamiCity.org ]

UN Urged to Act as Palestinians Vanish at US-Israeli Backed Aid Sites in Gaza

(August 5, 2025)

Three of the five individuals are confirmed to have been taken by Israeli forces, the groups report, while the Israeli military denies involvement in the other two cases, including that of a 16-year-old student. The army said it would only launch an investigation if official ID numbers for the individuals were provided.

„These disappearances are just the beginning,“ the groups said in a joint statement. „We fear this is only the tip of the iceberg.“

28.08.2025 - 16:22 [ Quinnipiac University poll ]

Majority Of Voters Oppose Deploying National Guard To D.C., Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Support Drops For U.S. Military Aid To Israel As 50% Think Israel Is Committing Genocide In Gaza

Voters were asked whether their sympathies lie more with the Israelis or more with the Palestinians based on what they know about the situation in the Middle East. Thirty-seven percent of voters say the Palestinians, while 36 percent say the Israelis, and 27 percent did not offer an opinion.

This is an all-time high for the Palestinians and an all-time low for the Israelis since the Quinnipiac University Poll began asking this question of registered voters in December 2001.

Fifty percent of voters think Israel is committing genocide
based on what they know about the situation in Gaza, while 35 percent do not think Israel is committing genocide and 15 percent did not offer an opinion.

28.08.2025 - 16:01 [ CNN ]

New video reveals third strike in deadly ‘double-tap’ attack on Gaza hospital

The attack on the hospital came just after 10 a.m. local time on Monday when a balcony at the Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis was hit by what appears to be a tank shell, killing a Reuters cameraman and others. Nine minutes later, as a group of rescue workers and other journalists attended to the victims, they were hit as the Israeli military fired again on the hospital – a tactic known as a “double tap.”

New video obtained by CNN reveals that this second “tap” was in fact two near-simultaneous strikes. These second and third strikes appear to have caused most of the deaths.

Intentionally attacking rescue workers, journalists and other civilians is a violation of international humanitarian law and a war crime.

28.08.2025 - 15:51 [ Wafa.ps ]

Death toll across Gaza Strip surges to 62,966, over 159,266 injured

GAZA, August 28, 2025 (WAFA) – The death toll in the Gaza Strip has reached 62,966, the majority of whom were women and children, since the beginning of the Israeli aggression in October 2023. At least 159,266 others have also been injured.

28.08.2025 - 15:45 [ Anadolu ]

4 more Gazans die of starvation under Israeli siege

121 children among 317 people died of starvation in Gaza since October 2023, Health Ministry says

28.08.2025 - 15:37 [ Al Jazeera ]

Gaza death toll since dawn rises

At least 24 Palestinians have been killed across the coastal enclave since dawn, medical sources tell Al Jazeera.

Among them, at least six were aid seekers, they said.