Archiv: booting Kamla Persad-Bissessar


18:53 [ Trinidad Express ]

Resisted by Grenada, radar spotted in Tobago: As 4th US aircraft flies in

Yet another US Marine aircraft was detected overnight heading into Tobago, the fourth of its kind over the course of the past week, as imagery on the island appeared to depict a powerful air defence US radar system at the ANR Robinson international Airport.

The sightings come after Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday confirmed the US military presence on the sister isle, backtracking on previous claims that previous military aircraft sighted on the island were only there to help the country with a “roadway.”

18:24 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Prime Minister defends silence on US Marines in Tobago ‘I withheld work on radar details to protect national security’

On Wednesday, when a C-17 Globemaster with the words Air Force emblazoned on its side was spotted at Tobago’s airport, a picture of the aeroplane was circulated widely on social media, with several citizens questioning its purpose.

Later that day, outside the Red House, the Prime Minister explained that the aircraft had brought in US marines to assist in constructing a roadway. At the time, she said that, to her knowledge, there were no longer any marines in the country. However, US marines were later seen at a popular hotel in Tobago. The day after, the Prime Minister clarified that following further inquiries, she had been informed that marines were still in Tobago and were assisting with work on the runway, roadway, and radar system at Tobago’s airport.

26.11.2025 - 17:30 [ Reuters ]

US military‘s Caine meets with Trinidad prime minister

(November 25, 2025)

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine told Persad-Bissessar that the United States remained committed to working with Trinidad and Tobago to „address shared threats and deepen collaboration across the Caribbean,“ the Pentagon said.

15.11.2025 - 19:26 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Gonzales, Browne warn of hidden agenda behind US–T&T military exercises

He also accused the Government of withholding critical information, which he said continued to stir panic and unease among the public.

Gonzales also pointed to the absence of Minister of Defence Wayne Sturge and Minister of Homeland Security Roger Alexander, especially as the media briefing involved matters related to the country’s security assets.

(…)

Browne added that survivors of recent US kinetic strikes were taken briefly to the United States before being returned to their home countries without facing charges. He said the Government continues to encourage actions that the United Nations has found to violate international law and continues to presuppose that all those killed at sea were guilty. “It would appear that the guilt or innocence of these persons is predicated only on the basis of whether they are killed or whether they survive,” he said.

12.11.2025 - 00:12 [ Trinidad Express ]

T&T distances itself again

On Sunday, Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC)-European Union summit participants signed a joint declaration in Santa Marta, Colombia, which contains an article citing the “situation in the Caribbean and Pacific” and calling for dialogue and cooperation. Although present, T&T distanced itself from that specific point.
(…)
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has previously welcomed the US presence, promising the US unflinching access to the country’s territory in the event of a Venezuelan attack on neighbouring Guyana.

08.11.2025 - 23:23 [ Caribbean Community (CARICOM) ]

STATEMENT from the Caribbean Community | Security Build Up in the Region

(October 18, 2025)

Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) met and discussed various issues on the regional agenda including the increased security build up in the Caribbean and the potential impacts on Member States. Save in respect of Trinidad and Tobago who reserved its position, Heads agreed on the following:

They reaffirmed the principle of maintaining the Caribbean Region as a Zone of Peace and the importance of dialogue and engagement towards the peaceful resolution of disputes and conflict. CARICOM remains willing to assist towards that objective.

CARICOM Heads of Government reiterated their continued commitment to fighting narcotrafficking and the illegal trade in small arms and light weapons which adversely affect the Region. They underscored that efforts to overcome these challenges should be through ongoing international cooperation and within international law.

They reaffirmed unequivocal support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of countries in the Region and the safety and livelihoods of the people of the Region.

08.11.2025 - 00:41 [ Trinidad Express ]

PM may have to account to the International Criminal Court, says Browne

“This represents the first time in our records that a prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago would have proudly and publicly associated this nation with violations of international human rights of the UN Charter and International law,” he said.

Browne said the Prime Minister of T&T has continued to double down and triple down, including very recently her public stance in support of these extra-judicial killings.

He said while the US is not one of the state parties to the ICC, Trinidad and Tobago is, having been one of the founders.

02.11.2025 - 22:18 [ Newsday.co.tt ]

Military devise ‚war‘ plans after call-out – Troops stand down

MILITARY COMMANDERS have devised three specific courses of action to be taken in the event of any land strikes involving US forces and neighbouring Venezuela.

This follows a mandatory call-out of thousands of active soldiers, sailors and other personnel on October 31 to report for duty by 6 pm and a subsequent lockdown of all military installations.

(…)

The combination of a motion to extend the state of emergency for three months being debated in Parliament, media reports of an imminent strike to Venezuela, sparked a wave of anxiety in some parts of the country with some schools ending earlier and private businesses shutting their doors.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar later called for calm, vowing to keep the public informed of any major developments.

02.11.2025 - 22:11 [ Newsday.co.tt ]

Patriotic Front: Citizens want informed leaders

On October 31, Persad-Bissessar said she was unaware of reports that TT Defence Force (TTDF) personnel had been ordered to immediately return to base. She added she would find out and repeated her statement for people to remain calm in the face of reports which claimed US military strikes against targets in Venezuela were imminent.

Panday said, „The concern is that the head of the NSC should at least be aware of why the Defence Force was placed on high alert.“

She added if Persad-Bissessar genuinely did not know, „that raises serious questions about communication and coordination at the highest level of government, especially in a time of regional tension.“

28.10.2025 - 21:38 [ U.S. Embassy in Trinidad and Tobago ]

U.S. and Trinidad and Tobago Launch Joint Defense Forces Exercises

(October 24, 2025)

The USS Gravely (DDG-107) will visit Trinidad and Tobago from October 26 to 30, mooring in Port of Spain, while the 22nd U.S. Marine Expeditionary Unit will train alongside the Trinidad and Tobago Defense Force (TTDF) during the same week. The U.S. military services’ presence in Trinidad and Tobago is part of the longstanding cooperation between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago.

25.10.2025 - 22:49 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Analysts warn regime change in Venezuela could destabilise region

(October 23, 2025)

Former Grenada House Speaker Chester Humphrey accused Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar of capitulating to US policy in a way that was not befitting of the office she held.

“This is what is happening to the prime ministership in Trinidad and Tobago! It is being desecrated by someone who, first of all, may be in a state of stupor, does not understand the principles involved in the zone of peace,” Humphrey said.

25.10.2025 - 01:38 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

PM blames Opposition for panic over arrival of US warship

(October 24, 2025)

The PM said the Government welcomes the US Navy and Marine Corps for a “joint military training with the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.”

Persad-Bissessar reiterated, “The Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs has stated that the USS Gravely (DDG-107) will visit Trinidad and Tobago from October 26 to 30, mooring in Port-of-Spain, while the 22nd US Marine Expeditionary Unit will conduct joint training exercises with the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force (TTDF) during the same period.”