The part that fell in the woman’s garden, described by Gloucestershire Live as “a huge chunk of yellow metal,” was a wing tip gear door, a spokesman for the Air Force’s U.K.-based 501st Combat Support Wing said.
„There’s been no increased threat from Iranian-backed forces in Iraq and Syria,“ Maj. Gen. Chris Ghika, a deputy commander for the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS, told reporters at a Pentagon news briefing. „We are monitoring the Shia militia groups carefully and if the threat level perceives to go up them we will raise our force protection levels accordingly.“
But after being pressed by reporters on the matter, Ghika engaged in verbal gymnastics to try to say he was on the same page as the White House by saying the coalition monitors a range of possible threats and it raises and lowers security levels appropriately.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman met quietly Monday with the head of U.S. Central Command, Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie, and the two men discussed continued “cooperation” between the two nations in fighting terrorism, according to Riyadh’s state-run news agency.
B-52H Stratofortress aircraft assigned to the 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron from Louisiana’s Barksdale Air Force Base took off from Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, U.S. Air Forces Central Command said in a brief statement Monday. Additional bombers in the task force had been deployed to an unspecified base in the Middle East.
“They’re here to defend our forces and interests,” said Lt. Col. Christine Millette, a spokeswoman for Air Forces Central Command. Millette did not provide further mission details.
The U.S. Pacific Air Forces, which oversees operations in the region, told The Japan Times that the two nuclear-capable bombers departed a navy facility on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean for training “in the vicinity of the South China Sea” prior to returning to Diego Garcia.
According to Western media, the US is considering sending a warship through the Taiwan Straits. If true, that means Washington is ready to pile more pressure on China. On the same day the news came out, two US B-52 bombers reportedly took off from Guam and flew to the vicinity of China’s Nansha Islands. Later, a spokesperson for the US Pacific Air Forces denied it.
Nach Angaben des US-Verteidigungsministeriums hat es keinen Plan gegeben, strategische Bomber des Typs B-52 für das Luftverteidigungsmanöver Max Thunder mit Südkorea zu schicken.
Das sagte Pentagon-Sprecher Christopher Logan am Mittwoch im Interview mit Voice of America angesichts Medienberichten, nach denen Südkorea gebeten habe, keine B-52 an der Übung teilnehmen zu lassen.
Der südkoreanische Sonderberater für Sicherheitsfragen Moon Chung-in sagte am Mittwoch, dass Verteidigungsminister Song Young-moo eine entsprechende Bitte an den Kommandeur der US-Truppen in Korea, Vincent Brooks, gerichtet habe.