Archiv: frontlines / Frontlinien


28.11.2025 - 18:27 [ Atlantic Council ]

Putin wants to capture Ukraine’s crucial fortress belt without a fight

(August 28, 2025)

As US-led efforts to end the Russian invasion of Ukraine struggle to gain momentum, Vladimir Putin’s latest territorial demands include the surrender of strategically vital and heavily fortified Ukrainian land in the east of the country. Moscow is calling on Kyiv to unilaterally withdraw from the approximately one-third of Donetsk province that remains in Ukrainian hands as part of any peace deal. In other words, Putin aims to secure territory at the negotiating table that his army has been unable to conquer in more that three and a half years of full-scale war.

28.11.2025 - 18:18 [ Kyiv Independent ]

Ukraine war latest live: Russian offensive near Zaporizhzhia Oblast‘s Huliaipole repelled as troops spotted on city outskirts

Russian troops captured a Ukrainian servicemember during an assault on positions near the village of Hnativka in the Pokrovsk district earlier in November 2025, according to prosecutors.

One Russian soldier reportedly tied the prisoner‘s hands while another struck him several times in the head with an automatic weapon. When the captive stopped responding, the soldiers shot him.

The intentional killing of a prisoner of war is a breach of the Geneva Conventions and constitutes a serious war crime.

28.11.2025 - 18:12 [ Kyiv Independent ]

Amid chaotic Ukrainian withdrawal, Russian forces reportedly execute 5 POWs in Zaporizhzhia Oblast

At least five Ukrainian prisoners of war (POWs) were executed by Russian soldiers amid a chaotic withdrawal near Huliaipole, Zaporizhzhia Oblast, it was reported on Nov. 27.

According to analytical organisation DeepState, Ukrainian soldiers were taken captive and shot dead on Nov. 26 near Zelenyi Hai village, in the Huliaipole sector.

„The enemy captured the soldiers in the forest, lined them up, and shot them after interrogation,“ DeepState said on Telegram.

Speaking to Interfax-Ukraine on Nov. 27, Spokesperson of the Southern Defense Forces Vladyslav Voloshyn acknowledged that Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from positions in the area, but one unit „withdrew from the occupied positions in an uncoordinated manner.“

„Thus, it exposed one of the flanks of our operational structure in this area and the personnel of the adjacent unit found themselves without cover,“ he said.

28.11.2025 - 00:39 [ Kyiv Independent ]

Russia‘s coy game: Why Kremlin won‘t commit to Trump‘s peace push

There are signs that the Kremlin is not interested in a U.S.-brokered peace deal at all, with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other top officials reiterating maximalist demands and refusing to accept any compromise.

Instead of seeking peace, the Kremlin is trying to buy time and undermine Ukraine’s allies, analysts say. Another goal is to shift the blame to Kyiv by accusing it of rejecting Russian conditions that are effectively tantamount to capitulation.

28.11.2025 - 00:31 [ Euromaidanpress.com ]

Putin in his last address: Russia ready to fight until the last Ukrainian, offers no concessions, demands Kyiv surrender Donbas

Putin reiterated that the war in Ukraine will end only when Ukraine withdraws its forces from Donbas.

“If Ukrainian troops leave the territories they occupy, the fighting will stop. If they don’t, we will achieve this through military means,” he said.

He offered no concessions from Russia’s side.

27.11.2025 - 23:59 [ Tagesschau.de ]

Putin bleibt bei seinen Bedingungen – und droht

„Wenn die ukrainischen Truppen die von ihnen gehaltenen Gebiete verlassen, werden wir die Kampfeinsätze beenden“, sagte Putin bei einem Besuch in Bischkek, der Hauptstadt Kirgistans. „Wenn sie dies nicht tun, werden wir dies mit militärischen Mitteln erreichen“, so der Kremlchef.

Aus welchen Regionen genau sich die ukrainischen Truppen zurückziehen sollten, sagte Putin nicht. Russland hatte immer wieder gefordert, dass die Ukraine die vier Regionen Donezk, Luhansk, Cherson und Saporischschja vollständig an Russland abgeben müsse – auch die Teile, die Russland nie erobert hat.

20.11.2025 - 20:30 [ UnderstandingWar.org ]

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, November 19, 2025

(November 19, 2025)

Key Takeaways

Russia killed at least 26 Ukrainian civilians and injured at least 139 on the night of November 18 to 19 during its combined missile and drone strikes that disproportionately impacted civilian areas.
US and Russian officials reportedly drafted a 28-point peace plan that amounts to Ukraine’s full capitulation and would set conditions for renewed Russian aggression against Ukraine.
The reported proposed peace plan would deprive Ukraine of critical defensive positions and capabilities necessary to defend against future Russian aggression, apparently in exchange for nothing.
This reported peace plan is fundamentally the same as Russia’s 2022 Istanbul demands, which Russia presented to Ukraine when the circumstances on the battlefield appeared to favor Russia more heavily.
Russia’s long-held demands are dependent on the false premise that a Russian battlefield victory is inevitable.
Ukraine’s interdiction efforts are preventing Russian forces from using vehicles and concentrating manpower in Pokrovsk and are likely slowing down Russia’s rate of advance within the town.
Russian forces recently advanced near Borova and Hulyaipole.

12.08.2025 - 19:44 [ Interfax.com.ua ]

Russians may be preparing for new offensive operations, world unity and pressure on Russia important – Zelenskyy

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy thanked the leaders of the European Union for their clear support of independence and territorial integrity, and noted that the Russian Federation is not preparing to end the war, so it is necessary to continue to put pressure on Russia – „pressure of strength, pressure of sanctions, pressure of diplomacy.“

“We see that the Russian army is not preparing to end the war. On the contrary, they are making movements that indicate preparations for new offensive operations. In such circumstances, it is important that the unity of the world is not threatened,” Zelenskyy said on X Tuesday.

The President noted that Russia must be held accountable for its refusal to stop the killings.

12.08.2025 - 19:41 [ UnderstandingWar.org ]

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, August 11, 2025

It is premature to call the Russian advances in the Dobropillya area an operational-level breakthrough, though Russian forces very likely seek to mature their tactical advances into an operational-level breakthrough in the coming days. Russian forces used a similar tactical penetration in mid-April 2024 to facilitate the seizure of operationally significant territory northwest of Avdiivka.[32] The next several days in the Pokrovsk area of operations will likely be critical for Ukraine’s ability to prevent accelerated Russian gains north and northwest of Pokrovsk.

15.03.2025 - 07:52 [ Institute for the Study of War (ISW) ]

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, March 14, 2025

(March 14, 2025)

ISW has observed no geolocated evidence to indicate that Russian forces have encircled a significant number of Ukrainian forces in Kursk Oblast or elsewhere along the frontline in Ukraine.

11.01.2025 - 17:44 [ Institute for the Study of War (ISW) ]

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, January 8, 2025

– Ukrainian forces struck Russia‘s state-owned Kombinat Kristal oil storage facility near Engels, Saratov Oblast on the night of January 7 to 8.
– Ukrainian forces struck a command post of the Russian 8th Combined Arms Army (CAA) (Southern Military District [SMD]) on January 8 in occupied Khartsyzk, Donetsk Oblast.
– Russian forces advanced in Kursk Oblast, in Toretsk, and near Kurakhove.
– Russian forces are increasingly using drones attached to fiber optic cables in Ukraine.

11.01.2025 - 17:32 [ Newsweek ]

Kursk Map Shows Russia‘s Rapid Advances in Ukraine-Held Territory

(January 9, 2025)

According to the D.C.-based Institute for the Study of War (ISW), Russian forces have advanced in Toretsk and near Kurakhove, cities located in Ukraine‘s eastern Donetsk Oblast, while also continuing to push back Kyiv‘s forces in the Kursk region.

28.11.2024 - 09:31 [ Forbes ]

50,000 Russians Are Poised To Attack 20,000 Ukrainians In Kursk. Ukrainian Brigades Are Bracing For A ‘Massive’ Fight.

(November 24, 2024)

Russian President Vladimir Putin has given his general until early February to eject the Ukrainians from western Russia. But the real deadline, it seems, is the Jan. 20 inauguration of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, who has vowed to end Russia’s wider war on Ukraine but whose offhand proposals hinge on an unenforceable ceasefire that would freeze the front line in place.

28.11.2024 - 08:34 [ CNN ]

Ukraine is relying on drones to hold back Russian advances. Troops on the frontline are fearing the worst

Ukraine cannot match Moscow’s numbers, or a tolerance for casualties that Western officials claim is resulting in up to 1,200 dead or injured daily across the frontlines. Kyiv’s manpower crisis has been palpable in Pokrovsk for weeks, soldiers around the eastern front told CNN, and Moscow’s savage tactics are seeing persistent success.

“The situation is very critical,” said East, the callsign of a commander of a drone unit with Ukraine’s 15th National Guard working around Pokrovsk. “We lack infantry to fight and hold out for some time while the drones do their work. That’s why we often see situations where the enemy uncontrollably penetrates vulnerable areas.”

25.11.2024 - 17:34 [ Institute for the Study of War ]

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, November 24, 2024

Russian forces’ recent confirmed battlefield gains near Vuhledar and Velyka Novosilka demonstrate that the war in Ukraine is not stalemated. The frontline in Donetsk Oblast is becoming increasingly fluid as Russian forces recently have been advancing at a significantly quicker rate than they did in the entirety of 2023.

25.11.2024 - 17:22 [ Newsweek ]

Ukraine War Map Reveals Russia‘s Rapid Front Line Advances

Russian forces have been advancing far more quickly in Donetsk region in recent weeks than they did for the whole of last year, according to the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), whose map shows the state of play on the front line.

The Washington, D.C., think tank said on Sunday that recent Russian gains near Vuhledar and Velyka Novosilka showed that the war „is not stalemated“ and the Donetsk region is „becoming increasingly fluid“ with the latest Russian advances. Newsweek has emailed the Russian and Ukrainian defense ministries for comment.

24.11.2024 - 23:43 [ Al Jazeera ]

LIVE: Huge Hezbollah rocket strikes as Israel troops retreat in Lebanon

Israel is trying to take two strategic towns on the border. One is Naqoura, a town on the sea. The Israelis have been advancing through several other villages, and they were positioned on al-Bayada, a strategic hill overseeing the Mediterranean, and also in other areas in the district.

But today, Hezbollah forced the Israeli military to retreat after launching four attacks with antitank guided missiles on the Merkava tanks and destroying them, according to Hezbollah statements.

24.11.2024 - 23:30 [ Newsweek ]

Russian and North Korean Troops Shrink Ukraine‘s Gains in Kursk

Geolocated footage shows Russia has advanced to the southeast of Korenevo in recent days, the ISW said.

An unnamed senior military source in Kyiv‘s General Staff told Reuters in an article published on Saturday that Ukraine had lost more than 40 percent of the territory it controlled in Kursk. At its peak, Ukrainian forces controlled roughly 531 square miles of territory, the source said, adding that this has now dropped to approximately 309 square miles.

18.03.2024 - 18:20 [ storymaps.arcgis.com ]

Interactive Map: Russia‘s Invasion of Ukraine

Assessed Control of Terrain in Ukraine
as of March 17, 2024, 3:00 PM ET

12.02.2024 - 21:00 [ War Mapper / Twitter ]

#Gaza map update: There have been minimal changes in the past week. The #IDF have been gradually expanding their operations within the city of Khan Yunis itself, but with slow progress.

(11.02.2024)

09.02.2024 - 17:38 [ NewArab.com ]

Israel bombs Gaza‘s crowded Rafah city as battlefront nears

Israeli forces stepped up air strikes on Gaza‘s far-southern Rafah on Thursday as fears of ground fighting grew among the more than one million Palestinians crowded into the city.

09.02.2024 - 17:32 [ NRC Middle East & North Africa / Twitter ]

NRC‘s @YousefHammash in Gaza tells @CNN families are afraid of an expanded Israeli military operation in Rafah as there are no options left for the displaced population in the area to seek safety.

09.02.2024 - 17:17 [ Saul Staniforth / Twitter ]

BBC News illustrating how the population of Rafah has grown with over a million displaced Palestinians seeking refuge there. @NRC_Egeland says conditions there are horrific.

26.12.2023 - 21:29 [ War Mapper / Twitter ]

#Gaza map update:

The #IDF made large advances in northern Gaza over the past week.

The IDF initiated an operation into #Bureij expected to take 2-3 weeks. Last week they issued an evacuation warning for this area.

#Israel has also made some advances in the Khan Yunis area.

25.12.2023 - 21:26 [ S.L. Kanthan / Twitter ]

The stalemate in Ukraine is a win for Russia, since the latter have captured and maintained huge swaths of land. But Israel having a stalemate in Gaza for the last two weeks is a tremendous embarrassment.

Hamas is “winning” against all odds — i.e., stopping IDF, causing significant casualties in Israeli troops, and preventing Israel from moving forward.

(Gaza map Dec 14 thru Dec 23 )

23.12.2023 - 20:39 [ War Mapper / Twitter ]

#Gaza map update:

The #IDF have continued to make gradual advances over the past week in both the North and around Khan Yunis.

#Israel has issued an evacuation warning for central Gaza. Just south of Wadi Gaza, the initial separation line used for the operation in the north.

High resolution and zoomable version available on Soar: soar.earth/maps/16857

20.12.2023 - 20:42 [ War Mapper / Twitter ]

#Gaza map update:

(December 11, 2023)

20.12.2023 - 20:39 [ ehalal.io ]

Stalemate in Gaza: Israeli Forces Remain Static Amidst Heavy Officer Casualties

Last Updated on December 16, 2023

In a surprising turn of events, the Israeli army finds itself in a week-long deadlock in Gaza, with no discernible advancement on the ground. Official reports from the Israeli military reveal a staggering toll among its officers, with casualties reaching alarming proportions.

Shockingly, a substantial 27% of Israeli officers, precisely 108 in number, have been eliminated in the ongoing conflict. The casualties include 5 colonels, 8 lieutenant colonels, 43 majors, 41 captains, and 11 lieutenants, notably many from elite units. What adds a surreal twist to the situation is the age of these officers, most of whom are just over 20 years old.

06.12.2023 - 09:33 [ War Mapper / Twitter ]

#Gaza map update:

(04.12.2023)

The #IDF has advanced into southern Gaza, taking up positions on the central road into Khan Yunis. The coast road remains passable for the time being.

#Israel has also resumed attacks in the North, in the vicinity of Jabalia.

15.06.2019 - 16:46 [ Grayzone ]

Behind the Syrian Network for Human Rights: How an opposition front group became Western media’s go-to monitor

(14.06.2019)

Top media outlets turn to the Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR) for figures on deaths and detentions, never noting the group’s seamless connection to Syria’s opposition, the support it receives from states that waged war on the country, or its open lobbying for US military intervention.
By Max Blumenthal

15.06.2019 - 16:25 [ Al-Masdar News ]

Breaking: Jihadist counter-offensive reverses all Syrian Army gains in northwestern Hama

Unable to fortify their positions on Tal Malah, the Syrian Arab Army was forced to retreat once the jihadist rebels began storming the hilltop and nearby town of Jibeen.