Meanwhile, Congress is currently debating whether and how to rein in Trump‘s war making power, with votes possible by the end of this week. There are two competing House bills, one bipartisan War Powers Resolution (WPR) sponsored by Reps. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Tom Massie (R-Ky.), and another by Reps. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.), Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and Jim Himes (D-Conn.). Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) introduced a Senate version and that one is likely to get a vote by Friday.
Archiv: ceasefire in US-Israel war on Iran / effective on 24-06-2025 / West Asia War
Netanyahu surges in first poll after Iran war, Bennett‘s bloc remains ahead, election poll finds
A majority of 52% of the public supports a ceasefire with Iran, including 66% of opposition voters and 34% of coalition voters. On the other hand, 33% oppose the ceasefire (almost half of coalition voters), and 15% have no opinion.
The public is even more decisive on the issue of ending the war in Gaza and signing a deal for the release of hostages: 67% support the deal, including 90% of opposition voters and 67% of undecided voters. However, most coalition voters (54%) oppose the deal.
Trump Sees ‚Progress‘ On Gaza, Raising Hopes For Ceasefire
„I think great progress is being made on Gaza,“ Trump told reporters ahead of a NATO summit in the Netherlands, adding that his special envoy Steve Witkoff had told him „Gaza is very close.“
He linked his optimism about imminent „very good news“ for the Gaza Strip to a ceasefire agreed on Tuesday between Israel and Hamas backer Iran to end their 12-day war.
Pentagon launches probe into Iran strike intel leak
Seated next to President Donald Trump, NATO chief Mark Rutte and Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the start of a day of meetings, Hegseth didn’t provide details of the investigation, but did confirm the classified intelligence assessment and its findings, saying its conclusions are “low confidence.”
Exclusive: Early US intel assessment suggests strikes on Iran did not destroy nuclear sites, sources say
The assessment, which has not been previously reported, was produced by the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon’s intelligence arm. It is based on a battle damage assessment conducted by US Central Command in the aftermath of the US strikes, one of the sources said.
The analysis of the damage to the sites and the impact of the strikes on Iran’s nuclear ambitions is ongoing, and could change as more intelligence becomes available.
The Latest: Iran-Israel ceasefire holds; 7 Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza
Meanwhile, an Israeli military official said seven Israeli soldiers were killed Tuesday in the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis when their armored vehicle was struck by an explosive. The announcement comes a day after witnesses and hospitals in Gaza said Israeli forces and drones opened fire toward hundreds of Palestinians waiting for aid, killing at least 44.
Iran-Israel ceasefire appears to hold under pressure from Trump
Trump scolded both sides for early violations of the truce he announced at 0500 GMT, but directed especially stinging criticism at Washington‘s close ally Israel over the scale of its strikes, telling it to „calm down now“.
He later said Israel called off further attacks at his command to preserve the deal to end a 12-day air war with Iran.
Both Iran and Israel sent signals the conflict was over, at least for now.
Fragile Israel-Iran truce appears to hold after Trump’s fury at initial violations
(Tue 24 Jun 2025 19.41 CEST)
The shaky truce between Israel and Iran appeared to be holding on Tuesday evening, after an extraordinary day in which a furious Donald Trump at one point personally intervened by calling Benjamin Netanyahu in order to get him to scale down an Israeli airstrike.
Waking in Washington to find the ceasefire he had brokered the night before had been violated by both sides, Trump told the media: “We basically have two countries that have been fighting so long and so hard that they don’t know what the fuck they’re doing.”
Trump announces historic Iran and Israel ceasefire agreement to end ‘12 Day War‘
Published June 23, 2025 7:20pm EDT | Updated June 23, 2025 8:19pm EDT
President Donald Trump declared Israel and Iran have agreed to a ceasefire after missile exchanges, claiming the ‘12-day war‘ will end following a phased implementation over 24 hours.
„CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE! It has been fully agreed by and between Israel and Iran that there will be a Complete and Total CEASEFIRE (in approximately 6 hours from now, when Israel and Iran have wound down and completed their in progress, final missions!), for 12 hours, at which point the War will be considered, ENDED!“ Trump shared in a post on his social media platform Truth Social.