Archiv: Egypt 14-08-2013: following military coup in July state armed forces under command of dictator al-Sisi clear Rabaa al-Adawiya Square / hundreds or thousands of people killed


18.08.2025 - 20:41 [ Middle East Eye / X ]

Speaking outside the Egyptian embassy in London, Maha Azzam, head of the Egyptian Revolutionary Council, said the Rabaa massacre remains an open wound twelve years later and its legacy is directly tied to what is happening in Gaza today.

(August 17, 2025)

She described Rabaa as a systematic murder of innocent people carried out under the orders of President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who she said continues to commit crimes by keeping the Rafah crossing shut and blocking food and medicine from reaching civilians in Gaza.

„Egypt is complicit in Israel’s agenda in Gaza,“ she said, calling on the international community to recognise Sisi’s role in the ongoing starvation and suffering of Palestinians.

18.08.2025 - 20:08 [ Mosa'aberising / flickr ]

The Rabaa Massacre & Aftermath

(pictures)

18.08.2025 - 19:59 [ شبكة رصد / Youtube ]

رصد | مشاهد لم تعرض | فض اعتصام رابعة العدوية و المعتصمين في مواجهة الجرافات

1,172,054 views Aug 19, 2013

18.08.2025 - 19:38 [ Democracy Now / Youtube ]

Worse Than Tiananmen? 1st Anniversary of Egyptian Army Killings of 800+ Anti-Coup Protesters

(August 14, 2014)

One year ago today, Egyptian forces opened fire on a sit-in at Rabaa al-Adaweeya Square in Cairo. Tens of thousands of people had camped in the square to protest the ouster of democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi. Over the course of a single day, in what became known as the Rabaa massacre, Egyptian forces killed at least 817 people. Now, Human Rights Watch has unveiled a new report that concludes Egypt‘s actions likely constituted a crime against humanity, one of the worst violations of international law.

18.08.2025 - 19:34 [ Official English Website of the Muslim Brotherhood ]

Escape from Hell – A Rabaa Medic’s Testimony of Bloody Massacre

(August 16, 2013)

As one of the protesters who used to camp at Rabaa Al-Adaweya pro-democracy, pro-legitimacy sit-in, I was there on Wednesday morning, when the putschists’ violent crackdown killed and injured thousands.

At about 6:00am (local Cairo time, or 4am GMT), a warning message on a loudspeaker in the square said that everybody should leave their tent and head to the center of the sit-in encampment. Everyone there felt this was a major emergency issue.

At approximately 6:30am, I started to experience some difficulty with the internet signal. I wandered in the vigil area trying to get a better signal.

At about 6:40, I was in the area behind Tiba Mall. There and then, I knew that a vicious attack had just started, as the entry of the sit-in was showered with a barrage of teargas bombs. Only minutes later, I saw the first protester rushing through the encampment, covered with blood that flowed from a severe wound in his right arm where much of the muscle had been blown away….

18.08.2025 - 18:46 [ Human Rights Watch ]

All According to Plan: The Rab’a Massacre and Mass Killings of Protesters in Egypt

(August 12, 2014)

In July and August 2013, many of Egypt’s public squares and streets were awash in blood. On July 3, 2013, the military deposed Mohamed Morsy, Egypt’s first elected civilian president and a high-ranking member of the Muslim Brotherhood, on the heels of massive popular protests against Morsy calling for early presidential elections.

Over the course of the following two months, Muslim Brotherhood supporters organized two large sit-ins in Cairo and smaller protests across Egypt to denounce the military takeover and demand the reinstatement of Morsy. In response, police and army forces repeatedly opened fire on demonstrators, killing over 1,150, most of them in five separate incidents of mass protester killings.

Human Rights Watch’s one-year investigation into the conduct of security forces in responding to these demonstrations indicates that police and army forces systematically and intentionally used excessive lethal force in their policing, resulting in killings of protesters on a scale unprecedented in Egypt. The evidence we examined includes on-site investigations at each of the protest sites during or immediately after the attacks were underway, interviews with over 200 witnesses, including protesters, doctors, journalists, and local residents, and review of physical evidence, hours of video footage, and statements by public officials. On this basis, Human Rights Watch concludes that the killings not only constituted serious violations of international human rights law, but likely amounted to crimes against humanity, given both their widespread and systematic nature and the evidence suggesting the killings were part of a policy to attack unarmed persons on political grounds. While there is also evidence that some protesters used firearms during several of these demonstrations, Human Rights Watch was able to confirm their use in only a few instances, which do not justify the grossly disproportionate and premeditated lethal attacks on overwhelmingly peaceful protesters.

Numerous government statements and accounts from government meetings indicate that high-ranking officials knew that the attacks would result in widespread killings of protesters; indeed, in the single largest incident, the Rab’a and al-Nahda dispersals, the government anticipated and planned for the deaths of several thousand protesters. One year later, security forces continue to deny any wrongdoing, and authorities have failed to hold a single police or army officer accountable for any of the unlawful killings.

August 14 Rab’a and al-Nahda Square Dispersals

The gravest incident of mass protester killings occurred on August 14, when security forces crushed the major pro-Morsy sit-in in Rab’a al-Adawiya Square in the Nasr City district of eastern Cairo. Using armored personnel carriers (APCs), bulldozers, ground forces, and snipers, police and army personnel attacked the makeshift protest encampment, where demonstrators, including women and children, had been camped out for over 45 days, and opened fire on the protesters, killing at least 817 and likely more than 1,000.

18.08.2025 - 18:33 [ NewArab.com ]

Hunger strike in Egypt‘s notorious Badr 3 prison marks Rabaa massacre anniversary

(August 14, 2025)

The twelfth anniversary of the Rabaa and Nahda massacres comes this year amid a mass hunger strike in Egypt‘s notorious Badr 3 prison, where detainees say they are subjected to „slow death“ under a „stranglehold policy“.

A leaked letter from Sector 2 in Badr 3, seen by The New Arab‘s Arabic edition Al-Araby Al-Jadeed, states that prisoners had begun „a complete and open-ended hunger strike on July 1… in protest at inhumane detention conditions, including a ban on visits, depriving prisoners of contact with their families, denial of exercise and exposure to sunlight“.

09.03.2018 - 07:07 [ teleSUR ]

Egypt Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty for Photojournalist Who Reported on Massacre

The reporter known as Shawkan was arrested in 2013 while covering the Rabaa al-Adawiya Square protests against Sisi‘s military government.

17.10.2015 - 13:12 [ Democracy Now / Youtube ]

Worse Than Tiananmen? 1st Anniversary of Egyptian Army Killings of 800+ Anti-Coup Protesters

Veröffentlicht am 14.08.2014
One year ago today, Egyptian forces opened fire on a sit-in at Rabaa al-Adaweeya Square in Cairo. Tens of thousands of people had camped in the square to protest the ouster of democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi. Over the course of a single day, in what became known as the Rabaa massacre, Egyptian forces killed at least 817 people. Now, Human Rights Watch has unveiled a new report that concludes Egypt‘s actions likely constituted a crime against humanity, one of the worst violations of international law. T

16.08.2015 - 05:43 [ PressTV ]

Egypt rejects calls for investigation into Rabaa massacre

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry on Saturday brushed aside the HRW appeal for the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to set up an international commission of inquiry into the deaths of protesters in Rabaa al-Adawiya Square of the capital, Cairo.

19.04.2015 - 15:10 [ Reuters ]

Egypt Brotherhood trial relied on single testimony: Human Rights Watch

The prosecution‘s evidence in a trial this month of 51 alleged Muslim Brotherhood supporters in Egypt relied on the testimony of one police officer, Human Rights Watch said on Sunday.

HRW said the prosecution had presented little evidence to show the defendants did anything other than spread news about a mass sit-in in Rabaa square in 2013 and organize peaceful protests.

15.08.2014 - 11:42 [ trend.az ]

Rabaa massacre commemorated in Turkey

Hundreds of people in Istanbul Thursday marched to commemorate the hundreds of pro-Morsi Egyptians killed when their camp in Rabaa square in Cairo was destroyed a year ago today Anadolu Agency reported

The protestors, including representatives from Turkey‘s largest civil service union Memur-Sen and Hak-Is marched from Tunel square to Galatasaray High School in Istanbul.

15.08.2014 - 08:33 [ Freiheits- und Gerechtigkeitspartei (Ägypten) ]

PRESS STATEMENT: Human Rights Watch Evidence Report on Rabaa Massacre be Passed to International Courts

Human Rights Watch has today published damning evidence, which demonstrates that senior members of the post-coup government in Egypt were responsible for Crimes against Humanity.

The report names senior individuals including the Field General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim as being responsible for the planning and execution of the plan which led to the pre-meditated killings of Egyptian protestors.

15.08.2014 - 08:31 [ Muslimbruderschaft ]

PRESS RELEASE: A Year Since Rabaa Massacre

August the 14th, 2014 marks the first anniversary of the the world‘s worst massacre in modern history. Human Rights Watch describes the indiscriminate and deliberate use of lethal force resulting in „one of the world‘s largest killings of demonstrators in a single day in recent history“

The violent dispersal of the Rabaa and Nahda peaceful sit-ins by military and police forces left thousands of Egyptians dead and more than 10,000 injured on August 14, 2013.

15.08.2014 - 07:29 [ Ahmed Bedier / Al Jazeera ]

My brother was killed at Rabaa

Like many Egyptians who protested the military coup and set up camp at Rabaa Square, Amir was never a member of the Muslim Brotherhood (MB), and was highly critical of them. He felt they betrayed the revolutionaries by abandoning them for elections. In a way he blamed them for killing the revolution because of their naivete and political ambitions.

Equally, President Morsi was not Amir‘s first choice for president in the first round of elections but he voted for him in the second round against Ahmed Shafiq, who symbolised the remnants of the old regime. (…)

With the help of a neighbour, my sister-in-law carried her husband‘s body to a makeshift morgue set up at the al-Iman Mosque. That‘s where I found Amir‘s body on August 15, among 350 bodies I personally counted of murdered protesters.

I drove my parents to the mosque and as we pulled near Rabaa, it looked like a war zone. We were in disbelief. The mosque was wall to wall with dead bodies. It was a hot day and, with no refrigeration, all anyone could smell was death.

12.08.2014 - 19:26 [ Al Jazeera ]

Egypt‘s Rabaa deaths ‚crime against humanity‘

A new report has alleged that the Egyptian security forces‘ killings of at least 1,000 protesters at the Rabaa al-Adawiya Square sit-in last year in Cairo „most likely amount to crimes against humanity“.

The 195-page Human Rights Watch (HRW) report released on Tuesday found that Egyptian security forces „gunned down hundreds of unarmed protesters“ when they moved in to disperse the sit-in on August 14.

The killings were „part of a policy to use lethal force against largely unarmed protesters on political grounds,“ HRW found, and resulted in „one of the world‘s largest killings of demonstrators in a single day in recent history“.

HRW said that over a dozen senior Egyptian leaders should be investigated for their parts in the protesters‘ deaths, including Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim and current President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who was defence minister at the time.

10.07.2014 - 06:24 [ trend.az ]

August 14 declared ‚World Rabaa Day‘

On August 14, the military stormed the protest camps, killing hundreds of pro-democracy activists in what was described by Human Rights Watch as the most serious incident of mass unlawful killings in Egypt‘s modern history.

„In the aftermath of the coup, more than 6,000 people were killed, thousands were left injured and more than 20,000 were arrested,“ the International Rabaa Platform said in the statement Anadolu Agency reported

25.03.2014 - 16:02 [ Freedom and Justice Party ]

Pro-Democracy National Alliance Calls Nationwide Wednesday Anti-Coup Peaceful Protest Action

Let Wednesday be a notable day of the second wave of the Revolution. Let all gatherings move towards the squares of the Revolution in all parts of the country, under the banner „Together for Deliverance“. Let the squares of Tahrir, Rabaa Al-Adaweya and Nahda be the goals, without sit-ins. The final decision with regard to specific protest activities on the ground in those three squares is left to you, to suit the situation, while supporting the objectives. Raise the flags of Egypt and Rabaa, and the images of the martyrs and the detainees.
The Anti-Coup Pro-Legitimacy National Alliance
Cairo: March 24, 2014

24.03.2014 - 09:05 [ Freedom and Justice Party ]

Muslim Brotherhood Vows Rabaa Massacre Masterminds, Collaborators Will Be Held to Task

Brotherhood statement slams the putschists‘ attempt to smother the truth and muzzle mouths in order to prevent the world from learning about the junta‘s cold-blooded murders in the violent breakup of the Rabaa and Nahda sit-ins.

20.03.2014 - 08:54 [ Freedom and Justice Party ]

Muslim Brotherhood Vows Rabaa Massacre Masterminds, Collaborators Will Be Held to Task

Brotherhood statement slams the putschists‘ attempt to smother the truth and muzzle mouths in order to prevent the world from learning about the junta‘s cold-blooded murders in the violent breakup of the Rabaa and Nahda sit-ins.

19.03.2014 - 05:37 [ Freedom and Justice Party ]

Pro-Democracy National Alliance Condemns Coup Militias Attack on ‚Rabaa Massacre‘ Presser

The Anti-Coup Pro-Legitimacy National Alliance strongly condemns the brutal crime committed by military coup militias storming the Alliance‘s international press conference minutes before it was to convene Tuesday afternoon at the headquarters of the Independence Party, under the title „Rabaa Massacre… a Homeland At Stake“.

The barbaric raid on the Independence Party‘s headquarters is a violation of all constitutional rules and the very basics of political awareness. Preventing journalists from covering the presser‘s activities and arresting and detaining some of those journalists together with Alliance leaders as well as Independence Party officials, in an attempt to hide the truth about junta atrocities, is evident confirmation that the murderous military junta are afraid the truth will affect public opinion at home and abroad.

07.03.2014 - 17:20 [ Freedom and Justice Party ]

Muslim Brotherhood: Rabaa Coup False Report Will Never Cover Up the Truth

A new crime is added to the reprehensible track record of the military coup against Egypt and its people. Evidently, there are two issues that haunt mass murderer Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi, and which he would like to get rid of in any way. The first is lack of legitimacy. He only seized power through deceit, betrayal and brute force. The second is the blood he spilled in the brutal massacres he masterminded, which heavily stains his hands, and will remain a curse on him until Judgment Day. Therefore, he resorts to all subjugated institutions to exonerate himself, including the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) that issued a most ridiculous report Thursday on the Rabaa sit-in massacre in a blatant attempt to dilute the ugliness of the crime, blaming it on the police rather than the army, and thus exonerating the traitorous assassin Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi.

07.03.2014 - 10:13 [ Freedom and Justice Party ]

Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt Anti-Coup Icons Reject Government Rabaa Massacre False Report

Brotherhood and national icons opposed to the illegitimate coup in Egypt slam government report on Rabaa massacre as merely an Interior Ministry testimony to exonerate murderers responsible for the bloodbath.

14.02.2014 - 15:04 [ Freiheits- und Gerechtigkeitspartei (Ägypten) ]

Egypt National Alliance Launches ‚Rabaa, Icon of Revolution‘ Peaceful Protest Week

The nationwide coalition defending electoral legitimacy calls all Egyptians to rally in a week of non-violent resistance to defeat the coup under the banner „Rabaa, icon of the Revolution“ to mark six months since Rabaa and Nahda sit-in massacres.

11.12.2013 - 08:13 [ Guardian ]

Egyptian boy arrested after teacher finds stationery with pro-Morsi symbol

Schoolboy detained after teacher discovers ruler and notebooks with Rabaa sign, a symbol of opposition to Morsi‘s overthrow

29.10.2013 - 16:02 [ Muslimbruderschaft ]

Punished for winning – Egyptian Kung Fu champion humiliated for displaying Rabaa symbol

IACPDA is shocked and saddened to hear the Egyptian Kung Fu Association‘s decision to deport its champion fighter and strip him of his Egyptian nationality, gold medal & prize money.

04.10.2013 - 12:51 [ World Bulletin ]

Egypt‘s ‚torture victim‘ says pressured by police to lie

He went on to accuse a police officer in the capital‘s New Cairo district of pressuring him to make the accusation to provide justification for the arrest of the five men.

The court has now ordered the policeman in question to give testimony.

The Rabaa al-Adawiya torture claims were widely used by the Egyptian media to discredit not only the Brotherhood but the entire sit-in.

04.10.2013 - 12:49 [ Muslimbruderschaft ]

Court Surprise in Trial of Five Morsi Supporters Falsely Accused of Torture in Rabaa Vigil

The victim revealed some shocking details when he affirmed to the judge that the defendants did not assault him, nor cut his finger, but in fact protected him against unknown assailants who had tortured him. He also affirmed that the officer who recorded the incident fabricated the charges against the defendants and forced him to press those charges against his rescuers.

19.09.2013 - 09:33 [ Muslimbruderschaft ]

Egypt’s Anti-Coup Alliance Statement: A Month Passes Since Rabaa and Nahda Massacres

(16.09.) The Egyptian people were surprised by military coup security officials meeting a Zionist security delegation in order to coordinate a so-called war on terror in our beloved Sinai. The catastrophe was when the coup officials appeased their Zionist friends by killing innocent Egyptians, destroying their homes and mosques, burning their cars, killing their livestock, uprooting olive and citrus trees and torching palm trees, exactly as the Zionist occupation’s army does in the occupied territories. This is a crystal clear example of cooperation between coup officials and the Zionist enemy, and certainly not the only such example.

13.09.2013 - 21:04 [ Muslimbruderschaft ]

A Statement from Rabaa Detainees Protests Rights Violations, Hostage-Like Treatment

A statement from Rabaa and Nahda squares detainees, sent Thursday (September 12) from inside a prison in Egypt, describes illegal and inhuman detention conditions, and condemns the silence of Egyptian and world media and complicity of prosecutors.