Every former Conservative and Labour MP who quit the parties in protest over issues including Brexit and anti-Semitism has failed to be re-elected.
Soubry might not be quite as far Right as Jacob Rees-Mogg or Liam Fox but she is Right-wing, a Tory who left the Conservative Party but not Conservativism by justifying cruel welfare cuts which drove desperate people to the charity of Foodbanks just to eat.
Potential Labour defectors will now think twice before throwing in their lot with ex-Conservatives.
Ihre Abspaltung wollten sie vorerst allerdings nicht als Gründung einer neuen Partei verstanden wissen, sie bezeichnen sich als unabhängige Gruppe im Parlament. Zu dieser gesellten sich nun drei Abgeordnete aus einst gegnerischen Reihen.
Theresa May has said she is ‘saddened’ by the decision of Heidi Allen, Sarah Wollaston and Anna Soubry to leave the Conservative party and join the new Independent Group of MPs. In statement released in the past few minutes, the Prime Minister said:
– Tory MPs Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen defect to Independent Group over Brexit
– Asa Bennett: Tory quitters have proved Independent Group is a Remainer revolt
– Markets: Pound slips on Westminster turmoil
– Theresa May to meet Jean-Claude Juncker at 5pm
– PM could hold meaningful vote next week to avoid ministerial resignations
– Data analysis: Farage’s Brexit Party has more obvious slot in UK politics than the Independent Group
Leavers have been called Nazis for two-and-a-half years and nobody came to our defence.
Guess what – politicians who try to overthrow democracy will make people angry.