Archiv: Al-Fashir / El Fasher (city)


03.11.2025 - 23:05 [ Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) ]

FAMINE REVIEW COMMITTEE: SUDAN, OCTOBER 2025

1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

• For the current period of analysis (September 2025), and for the first projection period (October 2025 to January 2026), the Famine Review Committee (FRC) concluded that the classification of the towns of El Fasher and Kadugli in IPC Phase 5 (Famine, with reasonable evidence) is plausible. In the besieged town of Dilling, although the situation might be similar to that of Kadugli besieged town, the FRC was unable to determine whether a Famine (IPC Phase 5) classification is plausible due to extremely limited data availability.

• Uncertainty around the evolution of the conflict in the coming weeks and months raises a risk of Famine in areas surrounding the three towns, including Tawila, Melit and At Tawisha localities and the Western Nuba Mountains.

• Famine and the risk of Famine are urgent priorities, but they are only the most severe symptoms of a far broader and deepening crisis affecting millions across Sudan.

• This is a man-made emergency, and all steps needed to prevent further catastrophe are clear. Exert maximum diplomatic pressure on the parties to the conflict and their international supporters for a ceasefire and an end to the blockades —and ultimately an end to the conflict itself. Full humanitarian and commercial access should be enabled and local aid efforts strengthened.

• Given the scale of the crisis and the limited resources, humanitarian aid can only prevent famine temporarily and in limited locations unless these wider causes are addressed.

03.11.2025 - 22:44 [ Time Magazine ]

Famine Spreads to Two More Areas in Sudan, Including City Subject To Militia Atrocities

Famine has spread to two new regions in Sudan, including a major city in the Darfur region where a militia has reportedly carried out mass killings and sent tens of thousands fleeing in the last week.

El Fasher in western Darfur, and Kadugli in South Kordofan province, are now officially suffering from famine, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) confirmed on Monday. Twenty other areas in the regions of Kordofan and Darfur are also at risk, the international body added.

03.11.2025 - 22:39 [ NPR.org ]

Nearly 400,000 people are starving in Sudan, a new report finds.

Famine has spread to two regions of war-torn Sudan, including a major city in Darfur where paramilitary fighters have been rampaging, a global hunger monitoring group said Monday, as the war has created the world‘s largest humanitarian disaster.

The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, the leading international authority on hunger crises, said famine has been detected in el-Fasher in Darfur and Kadugli town in South Kordofan province. Twenty other areas in Darfur and Kordofan, where fighting has intensified in recent months, are also at risk of famine, according to the IPC.

03.11.2025 - 22:13 [ Al Jazeera ]

New light shed on el-Fasher horror as survivors arrive in Sudan’s Tawila

The memories of what happened in el-Fasher were difficult for her to put into words.

“The dead bodies were everywhere – in the streets, inside houses and at the gates of many houses,” Yahya told Al Jazeera. “Wherever you are in el-Fasher, you will see dead bodies scattered.”

Her testimony is one of several accounts from people who fled North Darfur’s capital after the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), a paramilitary group fighting Sudan’s regular army, captured the city on October 26.

02.11.2025 - 23:12 [ Newsweek ]

Aid Groups Warn Thousands at Risk in Darfur After RSF Takeover

(November 2, 2025)

Days after Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces (RSF) seized el-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur, in a violent assault that included the killing of more than 400 people at a hospital, aid groups warn that tens of thousands of civilians are at risk amid continuing violence, including some that may be trapped in el-Fasher and others harmed while fleeing.

02.11.2025 - 23:03 [ ABC News ]

Fears grow for thousands trapped in Sudan‘s el-Fasher

(Novemebr 2, 2025)

A total of 70,894 people have been displaced since the RSF took control, it said.

However, less than 6,000 have made it to the nearest camp in Tawila, 65 kilometers (40 miles) away, said Shashwat Saraf, Sudan director for the Norwegian Refugee Council, which runs the camp.

Almost 1,000 people arrived in the last three days, he said.

“The numbers are still very few. We are not seeing the hundreds of thousands that we were expecting. If people are still in el-Fasher, it will be very difficult for them to survive,” he told The Associated Press by phone from Tawila.

01.11.2025 - 00:34 [ United Nations ]

‘Blood on the sand. Blood on the hands’: UN decries world’s failure as Sudan’s El Fasher falls

“What is unfolding in El Fasher recalls the horrors Darfur was subjected to twenty years ago,” Mr. Fletcher said, referring to the atrocities of the early 2000s that shocked the world and eventually led to International Criminal Court indictments.

“But somehow today we are seeing a very different global reaction – one of resignation,” he continued. “This is also a crisis of apathy.”

“The Sudan crisis is, at its core, a failure of protection, and our responsibility to uphold international law,” Mr. Fletcher said. “Atrocities are committed with unashamed expectation of impunity…the world has failed an entire generation.”

01.11.2025 - 00:24 [ United States Mission to the United Nations ]

Remarks at a UN Security Council Briefing on Sudan and South Sudan

(October 30, 2025)

The United States condemns in the strongest terms the horrific violence occurring in El Fasher. The situation is both tragic and appalling.

We have said this before, and we will say it again – the Rapid Support Forces and allied militias have committed genocide.

The RSF has and continues to systematically kill men and boys – even infants – and deliberately target women and children for rape and other forms of brutal sexual violence. These crimes are ethnically motivated.

RSF militias are targeting civilians as they flee, killing innocent people escaping conflict, and preventing those who remain from accessing life-saving supplies.

The United States condemns these abhorrent atrocities in no uncertain terms. Those responsible should be held accountable, including through sanctions, as noted by the Sudan Sanctions Panel of Experts in its most recent report.

(…)

Colleagues, ending wars is a priority for President Trump, and the United States remains committed to working with our partners and other stakeholders to resolve the crisis.

Together, we are focused on securing an immediate humanitarian truce, halting external support, and advancing a transition to civilian governance.

31.10.2025 - 23:25 [ United Nations ]

Tens of thousands fleeing on foot amid atrocities in Sudan’s El Fasher

Since the powerful paramilitary group made a major incursion into the city last week, the UN human rights office has received “horrendous accounts of summary executions, mass killings, rapes, attacks against humanitarian workers, looting, abductions and forced displacement,” said Seif Magango, spokesperson for the UN human rights office (OHCHR).

Speaking from Nairobi to journalists in Geneva, Mr. Magango said numerous testimonies had been received from residents who had fled in terror as the city fell, then “survived the threatening journey to Tawila, approximately 70 kilometres away” – a journey that takes three to four days on foot.

31.10.2025 - 22:54 [ Middle East Eye ]

RSF fighters film themselves massacring Sudanese fleeing el-Fasher

(October 28, 2025)

Middle East Eye has reviewed dozens of video clips and images allegedly taken in el-Fasher since the RSF assault began.

Some were published by the RSF itself; others emerged on social media, particularly Sudanese Telegram groups.

The footage depicts chaotic and bloody scenes, captured by triumphant RSF fighters. Investigations suggest the videos are new.

The Arabic dialect spoken is Sudanese – particularly Darfuri – and the fighters’ dress is consistent with members of the RSF.

31.10.2025 - 22:50 [ Humanitarian Research Lab / X ]

HUMAN SECURITY EMERGENCY El-Fasher has fallen to RSF. HRL finds evidence of mass killings including door-to-door clearance operations and objects consistent with reported bodies on berm entrapping El-Fasher.#KeepEyesOnSudan

(October 28, 2025)

29.10.2025 - 22:50 [ United Nations ]

Reported massacre at hospital in Sudan’s El Fasher leaves 460 dead

Horrific stories of mass-atrocities committed by the RSF militia continue to emerge, along with the tens of thousands of civilians who have fled the North Darfur city of El Fasher in Sudan.

28.10.2025 - 00:17 [ United Nations ]

Risk of large-scale atrocities in Sudan’s El Fasher grows ‘by the day’

The agency has received reports of summary executions of civilians trying to escape what was the last Sudanese military government stronghold of El Fasher – with indications of ethnic motivations for killings – and of former combatants who have put down their weapons, which is prohibited under humanitarian law.

“The risk of further large-scale, ethnically motivated violations and atrocities in El Fasher is mounting by the day,” warned UN human rights chief Volker Türk.

“Urgent and concrete action needs to be taken to ensure the protection of civilians in El Fasher and safe passage for those trying to reach relative safety.”

28.10.2025 - 00:12 [ Tagesschau.de ]

Bürgerkrieg im Sudan: Sorge um Hunderttausende in Al-Faschir

Das sudanesische Ärztenetzwerk teilte mit, RSF-Kämpfer hätten nach ihrem Einmarsch in Al-Faschir am Sonntag Dutzende Zivilisten getötet und Krankenhäuser und andere Gesundheitseinrichtungen geplündert.

Das Darfur-Netzwerk für Menschenrechte berichtete von mehr als 1.000 teilweise willkürlichen Festnahmen.

27.10.2025 - 23:48 [ Middle East Eye ]

Sudan’s RSF storms el-Fasher after UAE shuts down talks on city

However, sources told Middle East Eye that the UAE, which is the RSF’s most significant patron, refused to address the situation in el-Fasher, which has been under siege for over 500 days.

27.10.2025 - 23:45 [ NewArab.com ]

Fears for civilians trapped in Sudan‘s El-Fasher as RSF advances

The Rapid Support Forces claimed to have captured the city on Sunday, the last state capital in Darfur yet to fall to the paramilitaries.

29.08.2025 - 21:29 [ United Nations ]

Sudan: Guterres calls for ceasefire in El Fasher, deplores ‘relentless’ militia attacks

Since 11 August, the UN has documented the killing of at least 125 civilians in the El Fasher area, including summary executions – although the actual number is likely to be higher.

“The Secretary-General is alarmed at the grave risks of serious violations of international humanitarian law as well as violations and abuses of international human rights law, including ethnically motivated ones,” said Mr. Dujarric.

Meanwhile, supplies are pre-positioned near El Fasher, but the UN and partners continue to face obstacles in moving them into the city.

Some 70 trucks of humanitarian assistance are currently waiting in Nyala, South Darfur, a top official with the UN aid coordination office OCHA said on Thursday in New York.

Mr. Dujarric also noted that repeated attacks on humanitarian personnel and assets in North Darfur have occurred over recent months.

29.08.2025 - 21:22 [ Sudan Tribune ]

Sudan details RSF atrocities in El Fasher, slams international silence

(today)

He said 260,000 civilians remain trapped in the city, facing hunger and disease, with 130,000 children suffering from malnutrition. Al-Amin accused RSF fighters of raping 23 children and killing 1,000 others, whose bodies he said were mutilated.

The RSF has also destroyed six schools and 35 hospitals, according to Al-Amin. He called on the international community to work together to deliver humanitarian aid.

The government’s Humanitarian Aid Commissioner, Salwa Adam Binnia, called for the enforcement of UN Security Council Resolution 2736, which demanded the RSF halt the siege. She said government relief has been blocked from reaching the city.

15.04.2025 - 00:26 [ Middle East Eye ]

Sudan’s el-Fasher pleads for help as RSF slaughters its way to the city

More than a million people in Sudan’s el-Fasher are pleading for protection after the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) advanced on the city, killing hundreds of people while on its way.

Multiple sources in and around el-Fasher told Middle East Eye that the RSF is preparing to invade the city, which is the capital of North Darfur state and the only place in western Sudan still held by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and its allies.

15.04.2025 - 00:22 [ United Nations ]

Sudan war: ‘Darkest chapters’ ahead as Darfur massacre claims over 100 lives

The latest attacks, which began on 11 April, saw Rapid Support Forces (RSF)-affiliated forces launch coordinated assaults on Zamzam and Abu Shouk – two of the largest camps for internally displaced people (IDPs) in Darfur – as well as the regional capital, El Fasher.

Among those killed were 23 children as well as nine humanitarian workers who were operating one of the last remaining health posts.