Wie weithin berichtet wurde, hat sich die American Studies Association (ASA), die Dachorganisation von Akademikern, die sich mit dem Studium der Literatur der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika, Geschichte und Kultur beschäftigen, vor kurzem dafür entschieden, der Bewegung zum Boykott von israelischen akademischen Einrichtungen beizutreten.
Daily Archives: 30. Dezember 2013
Samaras: Griechenland will 2014 ein „normales Land“ werden und ohne neue Hilfskredite auskommen
http://t.co/OINfR1SqaT
Tectonic shifts on the European chessboard
Moscow today is playing hardball.
Its policy on Syria worked because as the West eventually discovered, with the usual delay, the enemies of the regime of Bashar al-Assad are hardly candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize themselves. Russian President Vladimir Putin put the Americans right where he wanted them with his deal over Syria and scored points.
Gov’t prepares for troika talks as EU presidency looms
(28.12.) Amid a tense political climate, and with the country’s assumption of the European Union’s rotating presidency looming, government officials are already preparing for the return of troika officials in the middle of next month, Kathimerini understands.
Something‘s not right.
…
Juliana Vieira: Smoke on the water w/ SOLO (Cover)
466.749 views
Warum Social-Media 2014 den Alltag erobern wird und weitere Social-Media Trends
…
Serbian doctors link the growth of cancer diseases in Serbia to the 1999 NATO bombardments
The situation is particularly alarming in southern Serbia which was worst hit by NATO bombs. According to Radomir Kovacevic, the head of the radiological protection department of the Doctor Dragomir Karajovic Institute, people who live in the uranium-polluted areas, run the risk of falling ill with lymph cancer, leukemia, breast and lung cancer.
Ukrainian president, prime minister condole over terrorist attack in Russia’s Volgograd
The Ukrainian prime minister also expressed condolences over this act of terror. “It is w big tragedy. We are praying for the health of those who were wounded and whose lives are now in the hands of medics. And may those killed rest in peace,” he said in his message.
Georgian prime minister condemns terrorist attack in Russia’s Volgograd
“I express indignation over the act of terror that was committed at Volgograd’s railway station that claimed the lives of innocent people,” he said on Sunday. “I extend my sincere condolences to the people of Russia over this awful tragedy.”
Exclusive: Private talks between Tony Blair and George Bush on Iraq war to be published
On Sunday, a government source said that “good progress” had been made towards declassifying many of the records. “The intention is to be as open as possible,” they said. “There is an ongoing process of declassification, which is attempting to strike a careful balance to ensure that you are not setting a legal precedent that could oblige you to publish other documents in the future or damage national security.”
Security Council ‘outraged’ as second terrorist attack in 24 hours strikes Russian city
“The members of the Security Council underlined the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism to justice, and urged all States, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard.”
I‘m shocked and saddened by the Volgograd attacks. I‘ve written to President Putin to say the UK will help Russia in whatever way we can.
…
Statement by NSC Spokesperson Caitlin Hayden on Attacks in Russia
The United States stands in solidarity with the Russian people against terrorism. The U.S. government has offered our full support to the Russian government in security preparations for the Sochi Olympic Games, and we would welcome the opportunity for closer cooperation for the safety of the athletes, spectators, and other participants.
Meeting with Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev
During the meeting, Mr Putin and Mr Medvedev discussed the entire range of measures pertaining to medical, financial and other types of aid and support to be provided to the victims’ families and those who were injured in the terrorist acts in Volgograd.
Moskau: Anschläge in Wolgograd zielen auf Schüren von religiösem Hader ab
Verbrecherische Anschläge in Wolgograd seien genauso wie in den USA, Syrien, im Irak, Libyen, Afghanistan, Nigeria und einigen anderen Ländern nach ein und demselben Muster organisiert worden, sie hätten die gleichen Drahtzieher. In diesem Zusammenhang machte das russische Außenamt auf die verderbliche Position einiger Politiker und „Polittechnologen“ aufmerksam, die Terroristen in „richtige“ und „nicht richtige“ – je nach der zu lösenden geopolitischen Aufgabe – zu teilen.
UN agency condemns Israeli demolition of Arab homes, urges adherence to international law
The United Nations agency assisting Palestinian refugees today condemned Israel’s latest demolitions in the West Bank which have displaced 68 people, including 32 children, in the depths of winter, saying it is violating international law and calling on it to abide by its obligations.
NSA und CIA verfügen über die Bundesheergeheimdienste
Warum Minister Klug zur US-Spionage schweigt – Alles Mauern, Abblocken, kritische Menschen schikanieren hilft nichts: es ist offenkundig, dass US-Geheimdienste über die Dienste des österreichischen Bundesheers verfügen, diese Weisungen der USA ausführen. Zu meinen Recherchen und Erfahrungen wurde jede Auskunft verweigert, obwohl ich sagte, dass ich dann davon ausgehe, dass auf Befehl der USA agiert wird. So geraten die Menschen ins Visier, die sich den Amerikanern nicht beugen, sondern einem souveränen und neutralen Österreich dienen wollen.
The Shocking Redistribution of Wealth in the Past Five Years
3. Congress‘ Solution: Take from the Poor
In Philippines, workers toil among hazards in compressor mining
Compressor mining was banned in the Philippines under a 2012 executive order. The crews also operate outside the law by employing children and using highly toxic mercury. At Mambulao Bay, miners say they stay in business by paying police agencies the equivalent of $11 a month for each worker. Local officials say the miners are issued permits.
VW camper van: farewell to the symbol of 60s freedom
The last ever Volkswagen Type 2 Kombi van has rolled off the production line. We bid a fond farewell to the much-loved, multipurpose shed on wheels
NYT Backs Off Its Syria-Sarin Analysis
The New York Times has, kind of, admitted that it messed up its big front-page story that used a “vector analysis” to pin the blame for the Aug. 21 Sarin attack on the Syrian government, an assertion that was treated by Official Washington as the slam-dunk proof that President Bashar al-Assad gassed his own people.
Ikea Isn‘t Only Furnishing Your Bedroom, It‘s Watching You There
It’s not just that Ikea has a record of what color of couch or size bookshelves that you prefer. Ikea has been able to access personal records including bank account information, driving records, vehicle registrations and property records. It has used these in vetting job applicants and in building cases against employees accused of wrongdoing.
Secret pre-Iraq War talks between Blair and Bush to be published
The release, set for the upcoming year, is expected to include more than 100 documents, described as a collection of notes, records of 200 minutes of ministerial level talks, telephone conversations and private meetings between the British prime minister and American president, The Independent reported.
Hartz IV-Behörde lässt Beistände rausschmeißen
Zu einem Eklat kam es im Berliner Jobcenter Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain. Weil eine Hartz IV Leistungsberechtigte sanktioniert wurde, nahm sie zum Gesprächstermin zehn Beistände mit. Doch die Behörde reagierte mit Rauswurf.
„Auf meinen Wunsch sind die Beistände mitgekommen“, berichtet Christel T. Kurz zuvor hatte die Betroffene erfahren, dass die Regelleistungen ab Januar 2014 zu 100 Prozent gestrichen werden. Und das für drei Monate.
Syrian govt evacuates 5,000 from town besieged by Islamist rebels
„The citizens who have been evacuated are now in a safe haven as the ministry formed a relief operations‘ room with the cooperation of Damascus countryside governorate to offer them the basic relief aid,“ he said in a statement to SANA news agency.
Cancel your New Year’s Eve festivities, Saudi religious police warn
The religious police also forbid the sale of red roses and gifts for Valentine‘s Day on February 14.
CNN Poll: Afghanistan war arguably most unpopular in U.S. history
Support for the war in Afghanistan has dipped below 20%, according to a new national poll, making the country‘s longest military conflict arguably its most unpopular one as well.
The CNN/ORC International survey released Monday also indicates that a majority of Americans would like to see U.S. troops pull out of Afghanistan before the December 2014 deadline.
204. Stuttgarter Montagsdemo: “Erwartbares Stadtbahnchaos durch Stuttgart 21″
Die Rede von Kirchenmusik-Direktor Jürgen Schwab auf der heutigen 204. Montagsdemo der Bürgerbewegung gegen das urbane und verkehrsindustrielle Umbauprogramm “Stuttgart 21″ (S21). Die Rede befasst sich mit der 14. Planänderung (Nesenbach-Düker) des Programms, der damit einhergehenden Stilllegung und Umleitung der wichtigsten Stadtbahn-Linien in der Landeshauptstadt und enthält eine Fülle relevanter Details, die so der Öffentlichkeit bislang nicht bekannt sind.
Speculators never die
Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.
Salam Hails Saudi $3 Billion Grant, Says Cabinet Must be Formed Soon
Since his appointment in April, Salam has failed to form a new government due to the conditions and counter-conditions being placed by the rival March 8 and 14 camps. (…)
He also revealed in his speech that another 1.6 billion dollars might be offered during an international meeting in Italy in 2014.
In December, Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta announced that his country is organizing an international conference in Rome to back the capabilities of the LAF in coordination with the United Nations and Lebanese authorities.
Für Waffeneinkäufe in Frankreich: Saudi-Arabien gibt dem Libanon Milliarden
…
As tension rise, Saudi Arabia to give Lebanese army $3 billion
Saudi Arabia is giving the Lebanese army $3 billion in aid, Lebanon‘s President Michel Suleiman said on Sunday, calling it the largest grant ever to the country‘s armed forces