Archiv: Fischerei / fishing


02.11.2025 - 21:57 [ TrinidadExpress.com ]

Fisherman officially reported missing: Family believes he died in US strike

Police in the Maracas Bay district are now officially investigating the disappearance of 26-year-old Las Cuevas fisherman Chad Joseph, whose relatives and community members have publicly claimed he was among the men killed in a US military strike at sea two weeks ago.

Joseph, of Salvary Lane, St Michael’s Village, Las Cuevas, was reported missing on Saturday evening by a 37-year-old businesswoman. She told police that the last time she saw him was on the morning of April 25, when he told her he was going fishing. He never returned.

02.11.2025 - 21:56 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Family of man believed killed in US strike files missing person report

The family of 26-year-old fisherman Chad Joseph, who is believed to have been killed in a US airstrike, has filed a missing person report with the Maracas Bay Police.

Police said a relative reported that Joseph was last seen around 5 am on April 25, when he said he was going out to fish from his home at Salvary Lane, St Michaels Village, Las Cuevas. He was not seen again.

Officers said the relative later chose not to complete a formal statement until speaking with an attorney.

21.10.2025 - 13:11 [ New York Times ]

Colombia’s Leader Accuses U.S. of Murder, Prompting Trump to Halt Aid

(October 19, 2025)

President Gustavo Petro said a U.S. strike in the Caribbean had killed a fisherman. President Trump said he would cut aid and impose new tariffs on Colombian imports.

21.10.2025 - 12:53 [ South China Morning Post ]

US strike in Caribbean kills Colombian fisherman, stoking sovereignty row

(October 19, 2025)

Colombian President Gustavo Petro said on Saturday that the United States had violated Colombia’s sovereignty over its waters and killed a fisherman during its recent anti-drug trafficking military campaign in the Caribbean.

“US government officials have committed murder and violated our sovereignty in our territorial waters. Fisherman Alejandro Carranza had no ties to drug traffickers and his daily activity was fishing,” the leftist leader said on social media.

21.10.2025 - 12:47 [ Columbia Reports ]

US assassinated fisherman in Colombian waters, family says

(October 19, 2025)

The US military assassinated at least one fisherman from Colombia’s Caribbean coast and falsely accused him of being a drug trafficker, the alleged victim’s family told public television network RTVC.

In an interview, Audenis Manjarres said that her cousin, Alejandro Carranza, never came home after he went fishing on September 14.

21.10.2025 - 12:45 [ Newsweek ]

Colombian President Accuses US of ‘Murdering’ Fisherman In Boat Strike

(October 19, 2025)

Colombia‘s president, Gustavo Petro, has accused Washington of „murder“ after the U.S. military struck an alleged drug-trafficking vessel last month.

Petro said the White House had violated the South American country‘s sovereignty and killed a Colombian fisherman, named by the president as Alejandro Carranza. Colombian media reported Carranza was onboard a boat targeted by U.S. forces on September 15.

19.10.2025 - 12:00 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Venezuelan minister: T&T citizens killed by the US speaks volumes

In the message posted on his X account, Castillo wrote the following: “They ask T&T citizens to stay close to the coast because at sea they can be bombed by their American allies. This is not a joke; it speaks volumes.”

Two T&T citizens were killed last Tuesday by the United States’ Government, following an attack on a vessel sailing in the Caribbean Sea.

The victims were fishermen and lived in Las Cuevas. One of them was identified as 26-year-old Chad Joseph, and the other victim was known as Rishi Samaroo.

17.10.2025 - 13:07 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

FFOS warns fishermen after US strike kills two Trinis: Stay close to shore

Aboud said it was frightening that T&T’s leader would endorse such actions, calling her comments “outrageous, violent, ignorant, aggressive, undiplomatic and unbecoming of a senior counsel.”

“Our people pay the price. I do not recommend that any of our boys move further than a mile from shore. I strongly advise all seamen to travel at five to ten knots because, at any moment, you can be bombed out of the sea. Even if it’s an accident, they will say, ‘We’re sorry, we thought…’ This is not what a responsible Prime Minister should be bringing to our shores and our people,” Aboud said.

17.10.2025 - 12:55 [ CNC3.co.tt ]

Fishermen terrified following latest US bombing at sea, says Aboud

“People are terrified at the risk of being killed at sea,” he observed. “Personally, I am very upset with our national position of bringing American warships and allowing them to by-pass the judicial process.”

“We have law and order. We are a civilised nation. Yet we have adopted and given blessing to warmongering murderers to come into our territory and kill people outside of the judicial process,” Aboud said.

17.10.2025 - 12:50 [ CaribbeanNationalWeekly.com ]

NGO official confirms two Trinidadians among six killed in US strike near Venezuela

Gary Aboud, secretary of the non-governmental organisation Fishermen and Friends of the Sea, confirmed Thursday that two Trinidad and Tobago nationals were among six people killed following a United States military airstrike on a small vessel in international waters near the coast of Venezuela earlier this week.

“We would like to offer our condolences to the families, friends, children, wives of the deceased. Very, very sorry that they were murdered like this. I am very very sorry,” Aboud said on a radio broadcast Thursday with regards to the killings of Richie Samaroo and Chad “Charpo” Joseph.

17.10.2025 - 12:27 [ New York Times ]

Trinidadian Family Says U.S. Military Killed Relative in Boat Attack

Chad Joseph, a 26-year-old from Trinidad and Tobago who had been living in Venezuela in recent months, told his family he would soon be taking a short boat ride back home.

He has yet to return, and now his family fears the worst.

On Thursday, his name spread across social media, with users saying that he was one of six people aboard a suspected drug vessel that had been blown up by the U.S. military this week.

17.10.2025 - 12:25 [ Fox News ]

US military drone strike on drug ‚submersible‘ in Caribbean leaves survivors, official confirms

A U.S. military drone strike in the Caribbean on a drug smuggling vessel Thursday left two to three survivors, a U.S. official tells Fox News.

The partially submerged vessel, described by the source as „big,“ was operating in international waters when it was hit.

13.11.2020 - 14:13 [ France24 ]

Morocco sends troops to Western Saraha border to end Polisario ‚provocations‘

Rabat controls 80 percent of the territory, including its phosphate deposits and its lucrative ocean fisheries.

20.06.2020 - 18:26 [ teleSUR ]

Aboriginals Sue Western Australia State For Cultural Losses

Two compensation claims filed on behalf of the Tjiwarl people address actions by miners, farmers, and others like the building of fences and roads that had restricted their access to sacred heritage sites and hunting and fishing grounds, impeding their ability to pass down cultural knowledge to young people.

19.06.2020 - 02:31 [ The Guardian ]

Rio Tinto caves on demands to release review of Indigenous heritage site destruction

Company announces report on destruction of the Juukan Gorge cave in the Pilbara region of Western Australia will be made public in October