Daily Archives: 17. August 2017


17.08.2017 - 21:43 [ derstandard.at ]

Fahrzeug raste in Barcelona in Menschenmenge: 13 Tote, 80 Verletzte

– Zwei Personen wurden im Zusammenhang mit dem Attentat festgenommen. Einer davon, ein Marrokaner in Ripoll, ein Spanier in der Stadt Alcanar. Beide Festgenommenen sind aber nicht die Fahrer des Tatfahrzeuges.

– Eine Explosion in Alcanar am Mittwoch soll im Zusammenhang mit der Tat stehen. Die Ermittlungen dazu laufen aber noch.

– Beim Durchbrechen einer Straßensperre wurde am Donnerstagabend der spanische Fahrer getötet. Die Polizei geht nicht davon aus, dass der Vorfall mit dem Attentat in Zusammenhang steht.

17.08.2017 - 20:58 [ Daily Mail ]

Police arrest Moroccan Barcelona attack suspect who rented van used in terror atrocity

Oukabir was born in Morocco in 1989, police sources have told OkDiaro in Spain.

But a Facebook page with Oukabir‘s name – which has since been deleted – identifies him as being from Marseille and living in Ripoll in Catalonia.

His wall has been flooded with angry messages following the attack. On Tuesday he uploaded a picture of himself relaxing on a beach, although the location is not immediately clear.

Police are understood to have made an arrest following the attack, but the suspect has not yet been identified.

17.08.2017 - 20:57 [ Shubhashish Das / Youtube ]

Casablanca (1942) Round Up The Usual Suspects

Major Strasser: [arriving too late to stop Victor Laszlo from escaping] What was the meaning of that phone call?
Captain Renault: [pointing to the plane] Victor Laszlo is on that plane.
Major Strasser: [after looking at the plane] Why do you stand here? Why don‘t you stop him?
Captain Renault: Ask Mr. Rick.

17.08.2017 - 20:48 [ Daily Mail ]

‚The president let a Jew steal his daughter‘: White nationalist Charlottesville rally co-organizer says he‘s disgusted to see Jared Kushner with Ivanka as he predicts MORE people are going to die

(16.8.2017) – Christopher Cantwell says he hopes somebody ‚more racist‘ and ‚capable‘ than the president will come along to help him spread his racist message
– ‚Somebody like Donald Trump, who does not give his daughter to a Jew,‘ he said
– ‚I don‘t think you could feel the way I do about race, and watch that Kushner bastard walk around with that beautiful girl,‘ he said
– Cantwell, who had been talking about how he was trying to make himself ‚more capable of violence‘, said he hoped to find someone more ‚capable… to do that‘
– ‚We‘re not non-violent. We‘ll f***ing kill these people if we have to‘, he said
– A woman died, and 19 were injured when a white nationalist plowed his car into the crowd at the Charlottesville Unite the Right rally on Saturday
– But white nationlaist Cantwell said he considered the rally a win for his side
– ‚I think a lot more people are going to die before we‘re done here,‘ he said
– ‚People die every day. The fact that nobody on our side died… (and) none of our people killed anyone unjustly, I think is a plus for us‘
– Trump doubled down on a claim there was bigotry on both sides during Charlottesville incident during a press conference at his Tower on Tuesday
– His daughter and son-in-law, who are frequently at the president‘s side, are believed to have remained at his New Jersey golf club with their kids

17.08.2017 - 17:00 [ Consortiumnews.com ]

US Intel Vets Dispute Russia Hacking Claims

(12.12.2016) All signs point to leaking, not hacking. If hacking were involved, the National Security Agency would know it – and know both sender and recipient.

In short, since leaking requires physically removing data – on a thumb drive, for example – the only way such data can be copied and removed, with no electronic trace of what has left the server, is via a physical storage device.

17.08.2017 - 16:55 [ Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity / Consortiumnews.com ]

A Demand for Russian ‘Hacking’ Proof

(17.1.2017) More than 20 U.S. intelligence, military and diplomatic veterans are calling on President Obama to release the evidence backing up allegations that Russia aided the Trump campaign – or admit that the proof is lacking.

17.08.2017 - 16:51 [ Bloomberg ]

Why Some U.S. Ex-Spies Don‘t Buy the Russia Story

In 2003, when a number of former intelligence professionals formed a group to protest the way intelligence was bent to accuse Iraq of producing weapons of mass destruction, New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof wrote a sympathetic column quoting the group‘s members. In 2017, you won‘t read about this same group‘s latest campaign in the big U.S. newspapers.

The Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS) have been investigating the now conventional wisdom that last year‘s leaks of Democratic National Committee files were the result of Russian hacks. What they found instead is evidence to the contrary.

17.08.2017 - 14:44 [ Sarah Abdallah‏ / Twitter ]

The men who annihilated Iraq, killed and displaced millions of human beings, are now paragons of „anti-hatred“? Unbelievable.

(…)

17.08.2017 - 14:00 [ Zeit.de ]

KSK-Eliteeinheit: Hitlergruß und fliegende Schweineköpfe

Bei der Feier sollen die Soldaten eine junge Frau eingeladen haben, die als „Hauptpreis“ mit dem scheidenden Kompaniechef einvernehmlichen Sex haben sollte. Der Sprecher des Heeres bestätigte gegenüber ZEIT ONLINE die Anwesenheit einer Frau, „die zum Escort-Service gehören soll“. Laut dem Sprecher liegen jedoch „keine Erkenntnisse über sexuelle Handlungen“ vor.

Die Frau hatte nach der Feier verschiedenen Journalisten von Soldaten berichtet, die den Hitlergruß zeigten und Rechtsrock hörten.

17.08.2017 - 12:15 [ American Prospect ]

Steve Bannon, Unrepentant

“That’s a fight I fight every day here,” he said. “We’re still fighting. There’s Treasury and [National Economic Council chair] Gary Cohn and Goldman Sachs lobbying.”

“We gotta do this. The president’s default position is to do it, but the apparatus is going crazy. Don’t get me wrong. It’s like, every day.”

Bannon explained that his strategy is to battle the trade doves inside the administration while building an outside coalition of trade hawks that includes left as well as right. Hence the phone call to me.

17.08.2017 - 12:13 [ derStandard.at ]

Bannon: „Keine militärische Lösung“ im Nordkoreakonflikt

Im Gegensatz zu Präsident Trump, der Nordkorea mit „Feuer und Wut“ gedroht hatte, erklärte Bannon, im Falle einer militärischen Eskalation würden „in den ersten Minuten zehn Millionen Menschen in Seoul durch konventionelle Waffen getötet“, weshalb ein US-Angriff nicht zielführend sei.

Die Konfrontation mit Nordkorea sei „nur ein Nebenschauplatz“, sagte der Stratege dem linken Online-Medium demnach. In Wahrheit drehe sich alles um den Handelskonflikt mit China.

17.08.2017 - 12:12 [ Japan Times ]

Trump adviser Bannon open to withdrawing U.S. troops from South Korea if North freezes nuclear program

In an interview published Wednesday by the American Prospect, a left-leaning website, Bannon said “he might consider” such a deal “with verifiable inspections,” but noted that this kind of agreement “seemed remote.”

South Korea currently hosts 28,500 U.S. troops that act as both a deterrent to North Korean aggression and a tripwire in the event of war, a scenario that would see forces in Japan, Guam and elsewhere sent into battle. Pyongyang has long sought a peace treaty with Washington — to replace the 1953 armistice — that would see the American forces depart the peninsula.

17.08.2017 - 12:03 [ Korea Broadcasting System ]

USA nennen Bedingungen für Dialog mit Nordkorea

Nordkorea müsse ernsthafte Schritte unternehmen und seine Nuklear- und Raketenversuche stoppen, sagte die Sprecherin des Außenministeriums Heather Nauert am Mittwoch auf der Pressekonferenz in Washington.

Auch betonte sie, dass Washington nicht die Absicht habe, das mit Südkorea durchgeführte Militärmanöver Ulchi Freedom Guardian zu stoppen. Die Übungen würden wie geplant stattfinden.

17.08.2017 - 11:52 [ Radio Utopie ]

Libyen-Krieg: Neue Sitzung der Schwachmächte im UNO-Sicherheitsrat

(22.3.2011) Am 19.März, dem Tag des Angriffs von Frankreich, Großbritannien, Kanada, Italien und den USA auf Libyen, wurde in Moskau eine der erbärmlichsten Erklärungen in der russischen Geschichte veröffentlicht (Angriffskrieg gegen Libyen beginnt: Ticker). Das russische Außenministerium von Sergei Lawrow:

“In Moskau bedauern wir diese bewaffnete Intervention im Rahmen der UN Resolution 1973, die hastig beschlossen wurde.”

Die Weltöffentlichkeit konstatiert: Russlands Staatsführung ist ein Haufen Tölpel, dem – wenn er schon nicht lesen kann und deshalb nicht weiss was vor sich geht – selbst das Wort „Veto“ mit einem einfachen Armhochhalten schon zu viel ist. Das Gleiche gilt für die Atomschwachmacht China, deren leseunkundige kommunistische Staatspartei immerhin 1.3 Milliarden Menschen herumkommandiert. In der Parteizeitung „People´s Daily“ redete man sich heute nun selbst in ein Gewissen, was man nicht hat:

„Die blutgetränkten Gewitter, denen Irak seit acht Jahren unterzogen wurde und das unaussprechliche Leiden seines Volkes sind ein Spiegel und eine Warnung. Die militärischen Attacken auf Libyen, folgend den Kriegen in Afghanisten und Irak, sind das das dritte Mal, dass einige Länder bewaffnete Aktionen gegen souveräne Staaten gestartet haben. Es sollte augenscheinlich sein, dass jedes Mal, wenn militärische Mittel benutzt werden um Krisen zu begegnen, dies ein Schlag gegen die Charta der Vereinten Nationen und die Regeln der internationalen Beziehungen sind.“

Die Weltöffentlichkeit versteht: früher hiess es in China „Bombardiert das Hauptquartier“, letzten Freitag hiess es „Bombardiert Libyen“ und heute wieder anders herum. Mal sehen, zu was sich Chinas Staatsführung am Donnerstag entscheidet. Vielleicht der Einfachheit halber zu „Bombardiert irgendwas“.

17.08.2017 - 11:48 [ Sputniknews.com ]

Moskau zeichnet Feldmarschall Weg zum friedlichen Libyen

Haftar bietet sich als wichtigster Garant des Rückgangs des Flüchtlingsstroms nach Europa an. Ihm zufolge sind seine Truppen bereit, die libysche Grenze auf einer Länge von 4000 Kilometern zu sperren, wobei der Bau von Militärlagern mit Garnisonen vorgesehen ist. Für diese Ziele bittet Haftar die EU um 20 Milliarden US-Dollar.

17.08.2017 - 11:46 [ Newsweek.com ]

Qatar‘s Support of The Worst of the Worst In Libya Must End

Since the 2011 revolution, Libya has been the site of a rather nasty proxy war. The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and other traditional Gulf states have backed the eastern-based government and Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA). Seeking a more Islamist order in Libya, Qatar and Turkey backed the Muslim Brotherhood, and more recently, the Tripoli-based General National Congress (GNC).

17.08.2017 - 11:39 [ Ronit Dison / Mondo Weiss ]

Why I am leaving Israel

This law, along with the entire political establishment, encourages Eritrean and Sudanese refugees, who fled brutal and dangerous dictatorships, forced conscription, civil wars, and threats for being human rights activists to return to their home countries. But, if they return to their countries of origin, they will immediately be thrown into jail or murdered. Who in their right mind can choose either option, stay and face destitution and homelessness or go back to one’s home country for a summary execution.

Let’s also not forget that these asylum seekers and their Israeli-born children have no legal status. As a result, they are not eligible for basic social benefits Israeli citizens enjoy, such as health insurance, social security, higher education, and freedom of movement. It’s unbelievably ridiculous that a child born in Israel and educated in Jewish Israeli schools cannot go to a university at age 18. Furthermore, this young adult can potentially be taken by force to the isolated Holot Detention Center in the Negev Desert solely because he is a single male African refugee over age 18.

But Israel is the leading democracy in the Middle East, right?