Legan was shot “multiple times,” Smithee said, falling to his knees and then to the ground — where “he was able to get a round off,” the chief said. The officers did not realize Legan had shot himself in the mouth with his rifle, Smithee said.
On Instagram, Legan had previously threatened the event, the Gilroy Garlic Festival. He had also posted antisemitic, racist and misogynous comments. Among others, he invited people to read „Might Is Right,“ an 1890 book advocating for Social Darwinism and claiming that Anglo-Saxons are a „superior race.“
The internet was soon alight with rumours and speculation, which authorities moved quickly to dispel. For a start, they, said, no areas of the city had been closed.
As for the identity of the perpetrators, army chief Gen Apirat Kongsompong said the usual suspects were involved, without naming names.
Es handle es sich um einen jüngeren Mann, der in privater Beziehung zu dem 65-jährigen CDU-Politiker gestanden haben solle, berichtete die „FAZ“ unter Berufung auf Ermittlerkreise. Auf die Spur des Mannes sei die Polizei durch die umfangreiche Auswertung privater Daten des Getöteten gekommen. Dazu habe dem Vernehmen nach auch die Auswertung seines Mobiltelefons gehört, schrieb die „FAZ“ weiter.
Als Polizeipräsident bin ich für die Sicherheit der Menschen in Köln mitverantwortlich und nehme diese Verantwortung sehr ernst. Wiederholt machen wir seit längerem deutlich, warum die Gegend um den Dom und den Hauptbahnhof in einem besonderen Fokus der Polizei steht. Deshalb reagieren wir mit der erforderlichen Konsequenz auf Situationen, die Menschen Angst machen und den Anschein erwecken, dass erhebliche Gefahren drohen. Nicht zuletzt, weil es auch darum geht, Gesundheit und Leben der eingesetzten Polizeibeamten zu schützen.
Der ehemalige Staatssekretär im Bundesinnenministerium, Klaus-Dieter Fritsche, ist in die österreichische Politik gewechselt. Er berät als Pensionär Innenminister Herbert Kickl von der rechtskonservativen FPÖ, wie die Regierung dem NDR bestätigte. Fritsche hat demnach im Gebäude des Verfassungsschutzes in Wien ein Büro bezogen.
But many officials and lawmakers have said, publicly and privately, that they doubted the president was unaware of the intelligence on an imminent threat.
In addition to being president, Mr. Sirisena also leads the Defense Ministry, which oversees the work of much of the intelligence agencies. The officials say it is impossible that he would not have been briefed on a memo about threats that others at much lower levels had heard about.
“The government from the very beginning wanted to keep the minority vote with them, so they didn’t take any action,” Rajapaksa said.
The violent attacks, the ensuing political uncertainty and an upsurge in nationalism is almost certainly going to strengthen the Rajapaksa family, according to Alan Keenan, a London-based senior Sri Lanka analyst for the International Crisis Group who has lived on and off in the country for nearly two decades.
(26. April 2019)
A police spokesman said Friday that police forces had raided a house in Sammanthurai, a town on the east coast, and that after a gun battle they seized an Islamic State flag, explosives and clothes they said may have belonged to some of the Easter suicide attackers. It was not immediately clear who had been inside the house or whether any occupant had been killed. Police said the clothes matched those worn in a video that the attackers posted online before the bombings.
(7. März 2019)
It said the government will seek an extension of the timeline of the UHRC resolution 30/1 of October 01, 2015, through a co-sponsored roll-over resolution at the ongoing 40th session of the UN Human Rights Council.
The statement stands in contrast with President Sirisena’s comments on Wednesday that he would send his own team to the UNHRC session later this month to seek a reprieve. He said the UN must allow Sri Lanka to resolve its own issues without digging into past.
(6. März 2019)
However, at the 30th session, the UNHRC relaxed its call for an international inquiry by opting for a hybrid court that included both international and local judges and prosecutors to conduct the probe into war crimes. At the UNHRC’s 34th Session in March 2017, the Sri Lankan government was allowed by way of Resolution 34/1 a period of two years to meet the requirements outlined in the 30/1 Resolution.
(16. September 2018)
This debate has been in progress since Lanka was granted independence by the British in 1948. It involves the disfranchisement of plantation Tamils in 1948, the passing of the Official Language Bill (better known as the Sinhala Only Bill) in 1956, the 1958 riots against the Tamil community and those in 1977, the two insurrections by the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (Peoples Liberation Front – JVP) which were brutally suppressed, and the 1972 and 1977 constitutions, both of which stated that Sri Lanka is a Sinhala Buddhist country. These are matters which the country’s elite have consistently downplayed.
1983 was a pivotal year in the history of post-independence Sri Lanka. It was in July of that year a pogrom against Tamils in the south and east of Sri Lanka was instigated. Their possessions and business were looted, their houses burnt, many women were raped and probably 2,000 people were killed. This resulted in an exodus of around 100,000 Tamils from the south. It is not surprising that the civil war began in earnest in its bloody aftermath. It ended only with the complete victory of the Lankan state and the annihilation of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) twenty-six years later. During the conduct of the long civil war there were countless human rights violations by both sides, with the civilian population being caught in the middle. The conduct of the last phase of the war, known as Eelam War IV, came under particular scrutiny by the international community. It is this scrutiny that has angered that section of the Sinhala community that refuses to admit any fault on their own side.
(5. März 2017)
Mr. Sirisena himself addressing troops in the northern Jaffna peninsula on Sunday said he would not subject the Sri Lankan military personnel to any probe.
“I have clearly said that I am not prepared to serve charge sheets to our soldiers or to have foreign judges to try our security forces,” Mr. Sirisena said.
“It is my duty to protect the troops,” he said.
(17. Februar 2017)
Sri Lanka must employ international judges and prosecutors to ensure accountability during trials of those responsible for alleged war crimes against mostly Tamils, Human Rights Watch Australia’s director Elaine Pearson told SBS News.
Ms Pearson’s call, which echoes a recommendation in a 2015 UN Human Rights Council report of the OHCHR investigation of Sri Lanka, comes as Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesingh this week visited Canberra.
(16. September 2015)
Among the most serious crimes documented in the report are numerous unlawful killings, sexual and gender-based violence, enforced disappearances, torture, child recruitment, attacks on civilians, denial of humanitarian assistance, and violation of the rights of internally displaced persons in closed camps.
The report also documents “years of denials and cover-ups, failure to carry out prompt investigations, stalled investigations and reprisals against the family members of victims and others who have pushed for justice,” states the news release issued by the UN human rights office (OHCHR).
(16. September 2015)
In May 2009, the army recaptured the last area controlled by the LTTE, putting an end to a war that claimed the lives of up to 100,000 people, according to the UN. Nearly 40,000 of them are believed to have been killed in the last five months of the conflict.
Although the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) paper names no suspects, stating it was a „human rights investigation, not a criminal investigation,“ it does say that Tamil politicians, humanitarian workers, journalists and ordinary civilians were among the alleged victims of Sri Lankan security forces and associated paramilitaries.
He blamed Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s government for weakening the intelligence system by focusing on prosecution of military officers over alleged war crimes during a decades-long civil war with Tamil separatists that ended in 2009.
Among those listed was a woman identified as Abdul Cader Fathima Khadhiya, accompanied by a photo of a woman in a headscarf purported to be the individual wanted for questioning.
But the photo in fact showed Amara Majeed, an American Muslim whose parents are Sri Lankan immigrants and who wrote an open letter to President Donald Trump in 2015 about his rhetoric on Muslims.
Sri Lanka’s former wartime defense chief, Gotabaya Rajapaksa, said on Friday he would run for president in elections this year and would stop the spread of Islamist extremism by rebuilding the intelligence service and surveilling citizens.
Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, the country’s former defense secretary who helped end a brutal 26-year civil war in 2009, said in a phone interview with Bloomberg late Tuesday that voters are looking for a leader more like him in a presidential election that must be held this year.
„Foreign intelligence has informed that Mohammed Cassim Mohamed Zaharan alias Zaharan Hashmi the leader of the National Thowheeth Jama’ath and his followers are planning suicide attacks in this country.“
Intelligence services in India and the US told Sri Lanka of the threat in early April, officials said. One memo compiled by Sri Lankan security officials was so specific that it even gave a list of suspects. In the runup to the holiest day in the Christian calendar, the warnings seemed to increase in frequency and urgency.
But none made any difference.
He said information passed to police included a warning from a foreign intelligence agency about possible attacks by the group, as well as names of members.
US media quote Sri Lankan officials as saying both Indian and US intelligence had warned the country about a threat in early April.
It was not clear on Monday whether Mr Sirisena had been made aware of the warnings.
Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, YouTube, Viber, Snapchat and Facebook Messenger were all shut down in Sri Lanka after Sunday’s co-ordinated attacks.
The emergency law, which gives police and the military extensive powers to detain and interrogate suspects without court orders, would go into effect at midnight local time, the president’s office said.
The US State Department warned: “Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Sri Lanka. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.”
International intelligence agencies warned of the attacks several times starting April 4, Senaratne said. On April 9, the defense ministry wrote to the police chief with intelligence that included the group’s name, he said. On April 11, police wrote to the heads of security of the judiciary and diplomatic security division, Senaratne said.
It was not immediately clear what action, if any, was taken in response.
National Thowheeth Jama’ath is a newly formed group in Sri Lanka and a strong proponent of the global jihadist movement. It is known for being a virulently anti-Buddhist and has been linked to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues. Four of its members were arrested in January.
The Soufan Center, a New York based group that monitors global security threats, said the Sri Lanka bombings bore all the ‚hallmarks‘ of ‚attacks by other Salafi-jihadist groups, particularly those where local groups receive foreign support.‘ (…)
It comes after Sri Lanka’s police chief issued a warning on April 11, saying a ‚foreign intelligence agency‘ had reported NTJ was planning attacks on churches and the Indian high commission.
The Sri Lankan government’s decision to block all social media sites in the wake of Sunday’s deadly attacks is emblematic of just how much US-based technology companies’ failure to rein in misinformation, extremism and incitement to violence has come to outweigh the claimed benefits of social media.
– Bombings of churches, luxury hotels and other sites could have been prevented
– Sri Lanka officials said that ‚intelligence officers were aware‘ of possible attack
– Documents dated for April 11 were shared on Twitter by a Sri Lanka minister
– He said his father had heard of the possibility of an attack as well and had warned him not to enter popular churches
– Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewardena said 13 suspects have been arrested.
– The death toll has risen overnight to 290 dead with more than 500 wounded
In special press conference, main Netanyahu rival calls the story ‚a political spin,‘ said no compromising data was found in phone ■ Likud petitions election committee not to allow live broadcast for fear of electioneering