One of first jobs facing a Netanyahu-Gantz government will be to appoint a permanent state prosecutor. Netanyahu must not be allowed to control or have even the slightest influence over who gets this post, given the important role the state prosecutor will play both in managing Netanyahu’s trial and in potential future investigations.
Currently deputy director general, he has worked there for nearly 25 years, a statement said. He succeeds Sir Andrew Parker, who retires in April after seven years.
The Movement for Quality Government in Israel filed Wednesday a petition to Israel’s Supreme Court against the recent appointment of an interim state prosecutor, after which the court ordered to freeze the nomination, Hebrew media reported.
Justice Minister Amir Ohana announced Tuesday his decision to appoint Orly Ben Ari-Ginsberg for the position after the former state prosecutor Shai Nitzan ended his six-year term.
Updating as and when…
Boris Johnson is appointing more ministers to his new government in his first full day as the UK’s PM.
Boris Johnson has begun purging the Cabinet of Jeremy Hunt and his supporters, as he this afternoon started building a new administration committed to delivering Brexit by October 31.
19:18: Ben Wallace appointed Defence Secretary.
19:10: Michael Gove appointed to Cabinet Office as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, no deal coordinator. Roving Gove…
18:59: Stephen Barclay remains Brexit Secretary. Barclay banked…
18:52: Dominic Raab appointed Foreign Secretary and First Secretary of State. He’s ready now…
– Boris Johnson launches mass clear out of Cabinet and sacks Jeremy Hunt
– Jeremy Hunt and Penny Mordaunt among those sacked in brutal two-hour cull
– Greg Clark and Liam Fox also leave the government as new PM wields the axe
– Damian Hinds, James Brokenshire, David Mundell and Karen Bradley ousted
– Philip Hammond, David Gauke and Rory Stewart all resigned earlier today
– Priti Patel makes a remarkable Cabinet return as the new Home Secretary
– Sajid Javid has been promoted to crucial role of Chancellor under Mr Johnson
– Brexiteer Dominic Raab was installed as Foreign Secretary replacing Mr Hunt
BORIS Johnson today hit out at „the doubters, the doomsters, the gloomsters“ who believe Brexit is doomed to failure as he finally became Prime Minister.
Watch special coverage from ITV News as Theresa May resigns as prime minister and is replaced by Boris Johnson.
Another Mr Johnson backer, Gavin Williamson, who was sacked by Mrs May over alleged Huawei leaks, is also thought to be returning.
Whitehall staff are reportedly anxious that Mr Williamson could be given another security sensitive role. He is tipped for Northern Ireland secretary or deputy PM.
The only confirmed role was chief whip, taken by Mark Spencer, a low-profile figure who has been in the whips‘ office for years.
Watch ITV News special coverage as Boris Johnson becomes the new prime minister – live from 2pm on Wednesday on ITV and at itv.com/news
– Foreign Secretary has gone head to head with Johnson to be next Prime Minister
– They were often at loggerheads during campaign, with Hunt branding his rival a ‚coward‘
– Now Johnson’s allies say he will have ‚free hand‘ to fire Hunt if he wins by large margin
There will be more…
Iran-backed terrorist cells could be deployed to launch attacks in the UK if the crisis between London and Tehran deepens, intelligence sources have warned.
My latest piece on the problems BoJo faces: